Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Suburban Progress & Rusty block water jacket?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dixiedog, Nov 12, 2013.

1. dixiedog

dixiedog

Making some progress on the Turbo Burban.
    1 - Found out it's not a prototype turbo just has a turbo put on in the early 80's I am guessing. Thanks to Squirrel for the knowledge.
    2 - Removed 2 of the 3 tanks - the factory rear one was full of rusty gas, nobody local boils or cleans tanks and I don't have a tractor to strap it to the rear wheel with rocks in it. So bought a new one from Brothers with sending unit and straps that don't work on my truck.
    3 - Got a new radiator from Brothers and pulled the old thermostat and water pump because there is flaky rust and dead spiders, don't want them to clog the new radiator.
    4 - Scraped off some of the 1970's window tint, pulled the paneling down and seen where they spray glued furniture foam to the factory headliner:( to remove the odor inside

Question - how much rust in the block water jacket is too much? The water pump is rust flaked, the engine block is dry from no radiator and years of evaporation and rusting.
    Below is the photo of the water pump impeller and the water jacket

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

When the freeze plugs rust thru, then you need to do something about it...usually that happens before the block gets anywhere near plugged up.