Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Subrail extension question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by edcj7, Jun 24, 2016.

1. edcj7

edcj7

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the subrail extensions in a Model A coupe without removing the firewall or the subrails? My subrails are in pretty good shape so I really don't want to mess with them. If anyone has done this before or has some ideas I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Maybe someone could help, but your question is confusing. Be more specific. Which extensions are you referring to ?

3. mike bowling

mike bowling

To replace the cowl base and kick panel brace , or "sub rail extension", you don't have to take out the firewall, but there are LOTS of rivets that need to be carefully ground flat and drilled out. Once you have separated the cowl from the long side rails, it's easier to get at some of these rivets.

What stage of completion is the car?

Pictures help a lot

Attached Files:

wheeldog57 likes this.
  4. edcj7

edcj7

Sorry just going by what they were called when I bought them. The subrail extension goes from the front of the subrail to the bottom of the firewall. Also, the side cowl panels connect to it at the bottom. I've got all the rivets out but just not sure if it has to be taken out with the subrails. Thanks

5. edcj7

edcj7

Hey Mike here is a picture. I am in the very early stage. I've gotten all the rivets out did it just come out of the bottom? IMG_0947.JPG

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

Referring to the above picture, or below minus the kick bracket; The build up under the cowl is actually 3 parts on each side ; the kick board bracket ( running at roughly a 45* angle from the cowl base), the cowl base itself, and (on the bottom) the end of the long side rail of the sub frame. These are all riveted together, and 2 bolts go through to attach it to the frame cowl bracket.
    Haven't worked on one lately, but I think the cowl side sheetmetal is just crimped at the bottom to the edge of the sub rail. DSCN1335.JPG

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  7. edcj7

edcj7

Thanks so much for your help.

8. mike bowling

mike bowling

Sometimes the door posts get welded at the bottom , but I don't know if this is factory or not.
    Take your time and keep working at it; sooner or later it'll come out!! Slow and steady.

Where ya from?? No location on your profile ( deep cover??)
    Good luck with it.

9. edcj7

edcj7

Lol I'm from Long Beach, MS. I guess I need to put some info on there. Unfortunately mine was welded it took me just about all day to get it apart. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and replace the subrails and all. This is definitely a slow process but your right sooner or later I'll get it finished.

10. mike bowling

mike bowling

Like building a house- if you want it to come out right, you need a good foundation!
    It seems like a big investment, but will pay off in the long run. Good luck with your project.

Attached Files:

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Shot with the sheet metal removed. Sheet metal gets wrapped around that red piece on the bottom and may be pinch welded, can't remember. Bob

upload_2016-6-27_7-17-53.png