Register now to get rid of these ads!

subframing a 53 chevy question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timebombkustoms, Apr 13, 2010.

1. timebombkustoms

timebombkustoms
    from Indiana

I know I have heard of people using the front clip from an s-10 to subframe a 53-54 chevy,my question is would the front clip from and 99 blazer 4x4 that had the v6 in it work along with the rear end?If so I can get it all for free and want to jump on it

2. The suspension is WAY different between the 2 and 4 wheel drive frames.

The 2wd is a normal coil spring inside the A arms.

4x4s use a tortion spring, round rod running back twards the xfer case.

I'd use it if you wanted a 4x4

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 4x S=10's have a torsion bar setup on the front with the bars running back to a crossmember. It might work if the rails will match up. I'm not sure if a guy could pitch the bars and bag the front end though.

If it is free, get it and play with it a bit and see what goes or doesn't go and if it doesn't work, scrap is up again.

The S=10 frames cut easily with a sawzall too.

4. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Trade it for a two wheel drive. The 4x4 S-10 frames are only good for, well, 4x4 S-10s, or maybe a Chevette body.

5. pinman 39

pinman 39

53-54 Chev front end is what many rodders used to change to. You already have a good set up as-is .Spend you energy on another area of your car.Maybe bebuild your
    front end or brakes etc.
    my $ .02

6. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Yeah, you can have brakes by the time you get the S-10 halfway stripped down.

7. scooterp0019

scooterp0019
    from tennessee

most of the guys i know are using a gm metric sub frame out of a 79-88 ss or cutles. the engine fits the metric frame better than a s-10 and the ride is alot better.

8. Ghost28

Ghost28

The 4 by 4 rear end should be the proper width for your car, and might even be a 373 posi unit. That is the only thing I would use.

9. Of course, you could just unbolt the stock front end from the '53 frame, and put something like a Jaguar XJ front end on it (which also unbolts), and save yourself a shitload of work trying to put it back together....

and if you take the '99 to the scrapyard it will bring enough as scrap to pay for the Jag.

I just can never get how some people think "free" is great when it ends up costing you more and taking tons more work to use that "free" part than it would have to just do it right in the first place and spend a little money up front.

10. timebombkustoms

timebombkustoms
    from Indiana

Thanks for the info guys,the way it sounds it would just be better to rebuild my stock front end and take the rear end out of the blazer