Register now to get rid of these ads!

Su carbs supercharged

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 296moon, Jan 10, 2011.

1. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Would SU carbs work with a blow through system? wether it be turbo or supercharged, got a natural airbox on these already so was just wondering ........................... [​IMG]

2. Jagman

Jagman

I think you'd have to pressurize the fuel bowls too, or the boost pressure would simply push the fuel out of them. That's why you see a box around the carb on most if not all blow thru set ups, if everything is at the same pressure it will all work....

I see why you'd want to do this, but a suck-thru design will work better for lots of reasons....

3. retromotors

retromotors

Since those throttle slides are operated by vacuum, I would think they wouldn't work at all in that application.
    Then again, I've been wrong before!:D

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Maybe in a fully enclosed pressure box.

If not, I think it will just push the barrel up and it will go to fully rich.

They work great in a draw through system, though...

5. Without reading the entire thread I'm going to go along with retromotors on this one. I suppose there is a way to modify them to work with boost but I'm not sure I would want to figure it out.

6. DrJ

DrJ

The traditional, and probably only way to do it is have the carb(s) on the intake side of the supercharger, like on the Blower Bentley.
    [​IMG]
    Pic "borrowed" from Old Classic Car.
    http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/
    Hope they don't mind the advertising of their site... ;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  7. You beat me to it DrJ!

8. By definition the SU along with the CD Stromberg carbs are a what is called a constant vacuum carb. Vacuum is what raises the piston/needle assemblies on these carbs. Without a vacuum signal on the delivery side of the carb I can't imagine that a blow through arrangement would work.

All SU's on supercharged cars I have seen have mounted the supercharger between the carb and the the cylinder head.

9. FABRK8R

FABRK8R

I have a book on hot rodding A series Mini engines & they talk on this subject,... get back to ya!