Register now to get rid of these ads!

SU carbs on a banger - cast intakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doctorZ, Oct 26, 2010.

1. doctorZ

doctorZ

I know that someone was casting an intake to put the Bristish SU carbs on a Riley OHV, but what about bolting them to a stock banger block? Has anybody made a cast intake? Anyone make their own at home?

2. DrJ

DrJ

Have you checked to see if a MG. TR, A-H-4, Austin, or any other British intake happens to be the same or close intake spread?

3. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

hey dr j ....keeping the bed though .

4. nali

nali

5. doctorZ

doctorZ

good call. i didn't even think about that! i think the crossover tube may hit the exhaust on most, but i can work around that.

6. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Pretty sure nothing is close enough to use without a lot of mods. I have a feeling you may need to fabricate something.
    I remember that one issue with SU's on a banger that I saw was trying to keep the carbs inside the hood on a Model A. There was a downdraught SU - Monkeybiker on here has a couple, one of which is on his banger - but most are sidedraught, leading to issues with clearing the exhaust, like you say, or sheet metal.
    They're a great carb though, the SU. A few guys over here run them on bangers, but it is tight.

7. Weasel

Weasel

Maybe it would be easier to start with a banger intake and adapt it rather than go to the trouble of fabricating something from scratch. There are plenty of aftermarket intakes for 2-1s out there.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I made one for a Pinto and one for some Limey banger. Pretty straight forward. Even easier on an engine with only two ports.

9. Doc
    It is not too difficult to do but I am afraid you will stick out of the hood if you try and clear the original exhaust manifold. You do need the equalizer tube I can send you pictures of my OHV set up if it would help.

Bill Stipe

Attached Files: