Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods stupidist thing i ever did with my cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-Linkin, Apr 16, 2009.

1. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

well in high school i amassed a few good cars working at the texaco out by the interstate.guys broke down and tossed me the keys and walked away many times. 55 two door hdtp,56 pontiac star chief,47 5 window ad with a 327 4 speed.62 impala convertible. then uncle sam wanted me...i just knew i was going to viet nam and never return. the week before i left for basic,i started giving these cars away to anyone that wanted them. they were all runners by that time and i was doing my folks a favor by getting them all gone. the only car i had left was the 56 poncho so i went and got a case of coors and me and my bussies started clipping telephone poles. by morning,there was nothing much left of that car.
    i left for basic and got all war trained up...got my orders for my next station,,,,,,,,,30 miles from my hometown....what an idiot...all my cars were gone....i only went 30 miles from home....

got any stories like this?? i still have nightmares about where my cars went.

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

3. Ghost28

Ghost28

No wonder your so grumpy. :):D:):D damn that is sad though...ghost

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i'm grumpy for a lot of reasons ghost....being an old fart is the forerunner of blame.....if it wasn't for my few old cars and the hamb....i would be in an old soldiers home...heeeee heeeeee

5. I traded a complete '59 Olds with a turning motor for a '50 Pontiac rusty front clip.

The Olds got crushed a few years later. Not terribly special, a 4-door Dynamic 88 - but it had factory air that would be worth a few bucks now.

That was like 1991 -

6. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

sold a 85' t/a for 500 bucks, i could have used the rear end in my truck. Had a posi

7. Ghost28

Ghost28

I think the stupidist thing I've done is years ago. I bought a 58 chevy vert and stripped it for the stainless and aluminum and then crushed the rest including the 348 still bolted in the car. Dumb huh... I'm still kicking myself.:eek:

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

That sucks! I love my 59 Dynamic 88!! Cool car!!

9. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

dang ghost...let's get drunk

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Well, if the stupidest thing was about 40 years ago, I say you are doing pretty well actually. And you didn't go anywhere and kill people or worse, get killed yourself. Glass more than half full as far as I can tell. Hate to say it, but might be time to let that one go.

11. LongnLow

LongnLow

stupidest thing i ever did was marry my ex...oh...thats not a car

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel your pain, got posted into the Army Hospital in Sydney in 92(Ish), took my O/T steel 32 3 window in there. Got told to never bring it on base again (Blown 427 1800hp(Yes really))
    So I decided to sell it.
    I sold it.
    Gone.
    Last I heard was it burning in NSW south coast bushfires some time ago.

Then there was this one time I knocked back a sure thing in the back seat......

Doc.

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Well, let's see ... there was the time I traded a PERFECT '32 grille for a pair of Corvair bucket seats ... the '50 Olds 88 ragtop I bought for $75 & jerked the engine for my '50 wagon ... took a year to find someone who would take the rest for free. A '54 Olds K model 3 speed 2 door I gave to a chick on our 2nd (& last) date ... A '58 Bonneville bucket seat coupe I traded for a '46 Chev pickup ... the black '50 Olds DHC I traded for a Roberts reel to reel & a record player ... the '52 Ford F-1 5 star cab PU with a '50 Merc engine wearing block letter Edelbrock heads & intake I sold for $200 ... the black '56 Olds 3 speed 2 door I needed to move from San Diego to Mare Island when we went for yard overhaul & I couldn't get liberty - had a "friend" drive it up, & haven't seen it or him since ... The '50 Merc coupe I sold for $200 & a case of Oly ... but all these things happened in the mid '60s, so I don't feel too bad.

14. rq375

rq375
    from Washington

Look at it this way, if you did keep the cars, you would have been deployed.

15. When I was 10, I was pretending that I was driving my dad's all-steel Deuce Tub. Just sitting behind the wheel, making engine noises, etc..... I accidently left it in drive. When dad started it later, it lunged into the bench and bent the front bumper, that's also when he found out it didn't have a neutral safety switch.

16. Turbo442

Turbo442

Don't kick yourself too hard, that's a weak rear and you can still pick them up all day at Pick N Pull for $75

17. Back in '77 I had a 70 Boss 302 and 1940 Ford coupe with a Hipo 289 and T10. It would have been Hamb perfect. I was 22. I decided to go to art school. Sold them both because the insurance was too high (428.00 a year) Got 1000.00 for the 40 and 850.00 for the Boss. :eek: Bought a 68 Mustang 4v 302 4spd. cuz it was more cheaper for school. WAHHHHHHH. :(Not a total loss but...well you know the feeling.:rolleyes: Not really that stupid. just a choice I made.

18. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Pulled the engine to replace the frost plug................whoops thats another thread.

19. firemunkey

firemunkey
    from temecula

When I was 17 back in 76, I traded my 38 chevy coupe with corvette eng and tri-power, plus cash, for a 64' ford econoline van because I just had to have a surfer van. Cool to have a shaggin' wagon though! How bout this, I always buy high and sell low, that's never changed!

20. Wowcars

Wowcars

hahhahahha!!!!

21. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Well, I had a nice 55 Merc that had a rebuilt 292 with dual glass packs. I sold it to a "friend" at work on payments. Yes you are right.......1 payment then the "friend" and the Merc were gone forever. So you ask yourself, did he learn a lesson about selling cars on time...no it one more time before I realized that it is cash or no deal.

22. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel

When I was in highschool I was really into lowriders. I sold my running, solid, '50 buick 2 door fastback to finish my 89 cadillac brougham. I out grew lowriders about a year later.

23. HotRod33

HotRod33

sold my high school hotrod. I had a 1961 ford unibody pickup with 302 and 4 speed. sold it to by a mustang... was that ever stupid.......

24. sundance

sundance
    from minnesota

traded my '62 impala convert for a '67 el camino-dumbest ass thing i ever did-that was back in '71 and i still kick myself and my wife helps --god was she mad!!

25. francos55

francos55
    from Dago

One time, I didn't put a thick enough blanket in the back of my '59 Apache when my then G/F and I went to the local drive-in. Both of us had splinters in places where they hurt like a sonofabitch.

26. I sold my 1967 Mustang to a cousin for $500 and he thought I ripped him off. This was in 1972. I should have kept it and found a place to store it. It was a 390 cu.in. with a3-spd trans. deluxe interior. Itwas black interior, black exterior, tinted windows and would lay rubber for half the block.
    George

27. man!!! It sounds like karma got you good on that one!!! Mabey Karma was pissed about U skinnin that 56 poncho on all of those telephone poles. Either way, you got most all of them cars for free, so mabey that was the way it was ment to be.
    Who knows, mabey if you kept em' someone would of filed your papers differently and you would of wound up in a pine box many moons ago...Who knows.....

28. In 1968 or 9 I traded a SS 396 Chevelle (that I bought new) for a 64 Nova SS 283-4 speed. Even!!!

29. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Yup- took a running/driving 66 suburban with a, strong as all hell, 383 ci engine. Put it up on blocks for an LS1 engine transplant, air bag suspension, and 22" (?wtf?) wheels, at the request of my girlfriend. 2 years later it still sits up on blocks...................