Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stupid transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59bug, Mar 19, 2010.

1. 59bug

59bug
    from missouri

I'm trying to put together my 1950 chevy deluxe and the trany wont go into the pilot bearing. It's driving me crazy. Last time I took it apart, last weekend it went smoothly. Now I've been fighting it for about 2 hours. Any tips?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The most likely reason it won't go is the disc has moved a little and the disc spline section is not perfectly concentric with the pilot bearing. If you can get your head in position to look you might be able too see it and correct by eyeball........but, if you have a clutch alignment tool it will be easier and more certain.

Ray

3. Master of None

Master of None

Or you may try filing the input shaft snout a little bit. It may be a little mushroomed. My 4sp. trans in my o/t Trans Am did the same thing once. It had just enough of a burr that it wouldn't slide in.

4. HitIt

HitIt

It can be a b**ch. usually the splines of the clutch disc and input shaft are just not aligned. Put the tranny in gear and turn the output shaft while you jam it in place.

Yeah, I said tranny, shaft and jam it in there all in one sentice.

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

sometimes you can pull the clutch lever a bit to get the clutch loose so it moves a lil bit to align. or the nuetral thing

6. oldpaint

oldpaint

I think you left out lube!:rolleyes:

7. badlefihand

badlefihand

You need to bump the clutch when it gets to about a 1/2" to go. .Should not take much,just a bit. Clutch plate will move in line.Way I do it.