Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stupid transmission lifting trick of the day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 327Eric, May 29, 2023.

1. 327Eric

327Eric

I feel like a rocket scientist here, conflicting with the dumbass simplicity here. I'm reinstalling my c6 into my parts truck to get some miles on my first auto trans rebuild in 30 years . Usually I used to bench press these things and struggle to get them on and to stay on the jack, but I am far from being that kid now . Today I used ratchet straps wrapped around the frame rails to lift it up to get my floor jack under it, and one to pull it forward to the block. 20 minutes to slide it under and mate it to the block in a gravel driveway. As a bonus, the straps worked as a safety to keep it from falling on my head or dropping the converter. Wish I thought of this 20 years ago.

Woogeroo, wheeldog57, CSPIDY and 35 others like this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Outstanding!

Bones

Ron Emerson and deathrowdave like this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's a guy named 327Eric doing monkeying around with a C6?:D

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ Looks like he has a 59 Ranchero…

alanp561 and ffr1222k like this.

5. 327Eric

327Eric

I like cars. It's an addiction . I can't get over.

6. 1952henry

1952henry

Good trick. I used a strap to help guide my 4 speed to the flathead in my 4wd F3.

deathrowdave likes this.

7. He got smart and bought a ford , look it “ taught” him the easy way of installing a transmission. .

Dang Fords , is there anything they can’t do ? :p:eek:

8. My German grandmother had a sign in her house stating ''we get too soon old and too late smart''. I think of it whenever I have a eureka moment. Good trick you came up with.

9. If you're doing this job by yourself, the idea of using a couple ratchet straps hooked to the frame rails is a genius move just from a safety standpoint. Especially if things start to go "sideways" on you while trying to get things lined up with the jack.
    ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    alanp561 likes this.
  10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

He has seen the light...

11. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I did a 4spd transmission on a 1960 Dodge truck once, removed the floor boards and hung the transmission from a ratchet strap over the roof ... Could raise lower the trans & move it into position.

Last C6 I changed was in a Ford 1 ton van in a gravel driveway.
    I put a piece of plywood on the ground, then a floor jack, another piece of plywood on top of the jack.
    I got the C6 on top of the plywood .... I was able to raise & lower it, then used wood shims to just roll it into place.

Takes time to set it up.

1952henry likes this.
  12. I saw a you tube video years back of a guy doing that in a full size pick up.:)

ekimneirbo likes this.
  13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I have been known to set the trans on 2x6's, and add one board at a time to each end to get the height close, add shims as needed. Will have to try some straps on the next go-round.

bchctybob and Bleach like this.
  14. IMG_6065.jpeg

I bought one of these at princess auto ( Canadian harbour freight )

works great , I use it at work for doing big electric drive motors in forklifts .

cheap and works fantastic

It simply attaches to a standard floor jack .

15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Chevy guys change transmissions on asphalt or concrete........much easier! :p

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

But FoRD guys only install them, once ;)

17. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Me too stupid, still doing it the old way, drag it under the truck and roll it onto my chest and hoik it up in the air and try to stuff it into place, third attempt get lucky, then holding the tail shaft look for the bolts, well there the little fuckers are, just out of reach, swivel around on my back and try to kick them closer with my heel, of course they scatter, got one though and got it started which is good because my arms about to give out, thankfully only a stubby 3 speed. This dog needs to learn some new tricks

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

.080" overbore on a 312?

19. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

When I was 16 and didn't know any better, I pulled and reinstalled a hydromatic in a 60 Pontiac with a 12 foot 2x10, some blocks as a fulcrum, my sister at the far end weighting the tee-der-toter. :)

bchctybob, vtx1800, saltflats and 7 others like this.
  20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

One trick is to cut the heads off some bolts that are the size and thread count at the trans or bellhousing , depending on if it's a stick or automatic. Make sure they are plenty long, and cut a screwdriver slot in the end, so you can remove them. On an automatic I use 4, as stick you only need 2, as the trans will pilot into the bellhousing.to block. They serve as rails to slide the unit in place, with perfect alignment. Install the correct bolts, and the job is done.
    IMG_0153.JPG

reagen, clem, pigIRON63 and 21 others like this.
  21. twenty8

twenty8

Man, I like hangin' round smart people. Some of it just might rub off and sink in.
    That is borderline genius........ Thanks Marty.:)
    I might just edit out the 'borderline' part........

don colaps likes this.
  22. My Mother introduced to a similar saying about 70 years ago, and NOW I understand (and agree with) it!

42merc likes this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

I use a HF ATV/MC lift for automatics.

24. Great idea! Hopefully I can remember that next time I consider doing it the hard way. Actually, I borrowed a transmission jack from a guy I work with a couple years ago to pull a Turbo 400 out of a Chevelle. He said I can store it at my house, so I have used it a couple more times. Only problem with it is that it is a little sketchy holding a transmission 6 foot or so in the air since it is for a lift. When I pulled the 6-speed out of my son's late model, I leaned it against the lift so it wouldn't dump the transmission from that high... This reminds me that I really need to swap transmissions in my 56. :rolleyes:

25. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Was at a swap meet and got one of these for fifty bucks. One of my better investments. 51+EhmdiHcL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

bchctybob, Budget36 and guthriesmith like this.
  26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I bought one of the HF trans jacks many years ago. I made an adapter plate to fit on top that let me hold a 5 speed manual trans more securely so I can get the correct angle without it moving about or falling off. A strap also helps keep from losing the trans.

27. jaracer

jaracer

I worked in a filling station in 63 and we had really long set of bolts for changing a clutch. You would put the long set in place of the top trans bolts, slide the trans back and let it hang on the bolts while you pulled the clutch. It wouldn't work on all cars because of lack of room for the bolts.

seb fontana likes this.
  28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Kinda the same…..when I was working for a living and had to break pipe threads loose, I would set my 48 inch pipe wrench on the pipe and get a motorcycle ratchet tie down and use it to pull the wrench to break the threads loose. I one time had to use a come-a-long to get the job done!
    As we get older, maybe folks could use this idea to break stubborn bolt loose.

Bones

VANDENPLAS, saltflats and Algoma56 like this.
  29. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember when neighbors would help for a cold beer. Now you gotta throw a dam graduation party to trap them into helping...

pila38, 427 sleeper and Budget36 like this.
  30. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Yep, I like this way too. I just leave them in and use the proper lock washers and nuts. Studs seem to work for me in other situations as well, intake and headers especially.
    I do remember the days of hoisting a 4 speed of my chest to line it up. Could not begin to do that now or want to. Resorted to a harbor freight transmission jack. gets the job done, barely. Those high dollar articulating ones are awesome.

X-cpe likes this.