Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stupid tool tricks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louisb, Feb 17, 2019.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

NO electricity involved here! Replacing an axle bearing on my girlfriends 65 Rustang. She's now been my wife for 32 years! I had lent my brass hammer out to a "friend", and he never returned it before he moved. Anyways, first solid blow with a "regular" hammer resulted in a fleck of steel from the hammer finding it's way through my blue jeans, and embedding itself in my groin, just about an inch from the "bolt and nuts". I tried digging it out at work using a fluoroscope in Radiology, with my co-worker helping. He wound up getting the E.R. Doc to help. Took a little exploration to find that sliver of metal, but we did extract it. An inch more towards center, and I'd be singing high notes in the choir! I bought a new brass hammer shortly afterwards, and I no longer let anyone borrow my tools. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...:eek:

That's a real close to the tool stupid tool trick Butch @56sedandelivery...:D...glad ya lived to tell the story...;)

4. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Love the belt sander races. I can see it now, it catches on, National Belt Sander Association. Money people get involved, too many rules, and you can no longer afford it.

sunbeam likes this.
  5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Remember my first job out of high school.
    Running a radial arm drill press.
    Bent in to look down the hole with the drill still running. Caught my long hair and tried to drag me into the rotating 1” diameter bit.
    Scared me to death.
    Lost a big chunk of hair out of my scalp. Would have been real ugly dragging my body in that mess.

6. v8flat44

v8flat44

I think i learned something here: you really can have toooo much fun :D !
    Thanks !!!!! m

7. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Re: Back feeding panels from generators through welder outlets during power outages.

Main breakers can be defective and allow the generator power out into the utility lines seriously injuring, or even killing, workers trying to repair the damage on lines they believe to have no electrical energy in them.

I had always thought throwing the main breaker would always isolate the house/shop from the utility lines until a friend and his son were rehabbing an older house. They threw the main breaker before starting some wiring upgrades then shockingly discovered they still had power coming in through a defective breaker !

Ed

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Ed, I realize what you are saying, but that experience had to come from someone jerry rigging a breaker, in the past to avoid buying a new one. I routinely trip breakers to do repair work and have never run into one that didn’t shut off. Now I’m not saying it can’t happen. But a simple test to be sure would put a guys mind at ease. I always test a circuit I believe to be turned off before I work on it. With a meter, not my hands! Lol

Bones