Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stupid tool tricks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louisb, Feb 17, 2019.

1. louisb

louisb

Today I am hard at work in the garage getting my seat mounted in the roadster. I am using several different power tools at once so I am constantly plugging and unplugging things into an extension cord. (I am too cheap to buy cordless tools.) I have just finished grinding something and now I need the drill. Grab the grinder power cord and extension cord in one hand and the drill cord in the other. Unplug, drop the extra cord and realize I am looking at this:

A3BFC088-6DAF-4F1B-A07F-FA49318AA162.jpeg

Which might be pretty funny if it wasn’t the zilionth time I have done this. Anyone else got any favorite “stupid tool tricks” they are good at doing?

—louis

raven, catdad49, oldsjoe and 4 others like this.
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You know you can buy an extension cord that allows you to plug in up to 6 tools at a time. If you are too cheap to buy one you can get an electrical box and outlets at any hardware store, and make one that will plug in 2 or 4 at a time. Just don't use them all at once and overload the circuit.

48fordnut, zzford, VANDENPLAS and 4 others like this.
  3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

What him say^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Not me. I don't do stupid shit.

50 customcoupe, czuch and louisb like this.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

no, i would never do a thing like that! besides i am too busy looking for the wrench that i just had a minute ago, which may still be in my hand, but cant see without my glasses which may be on top my head

48fordnut, King ford, Saxman and 8 others like this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

When a trick, tricks ya.
    [​IMG]

7. Except post on dumb ass postings

Texas Webb likes this.
  8. Male end to male end. Looks like a gay thing to me.....

raven, Texas Webb, zzford and 5 others like this.
  9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to always be going back and forth from my sawzalll to the grinder to the drill... bought a quad box receptacle, cut the end off an old extension cord, and married the two! Wah La! Can run all of them with out doing the plug dance! Cost me all of $10.

zzford, Stogy and louisb like this.
  10. Radio Shack will sell you an adapter for that.:p

raven and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I love using the wire wheel on one side of bench grinder. Every time whatever I'm polishing is almost perfect...PING!"...it shoots off to the next county.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

jeepsterhemi, loudbang and louisb like this.
  12. Forget it, I’m too busy looking for the tool that I just set down and some Gremlin ran off with. Damn Gremlin also runs off with parts too. Some day I’ll catch him!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel your pain and have done the same thing, had two male ends in my hand (electrical male ends, just to be clear:), and I have some cordless tools, my excuse is 70 plus birthdays.....but I think it started more than last year:)

deucemac, chryslerfan55 and louisb like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have re-use it centers all over...Value Village, Habitat for Humanity, Junk Shops, Garage Sales and Pawn Shops that are all potential places to get power bars with varied extension cord lengths...one thing to do is plug them in if you can to test that they work...helps to do a little poking around the hardware store to get a rough idea what stuffs worth...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

. It wasn't exactly cheap as I bought a 25 ft roll of 12-3 SO cord from Lowes plus the box, cover and plug ins. Stand was a piece of tubing from an old pop up canopy and an old brake rotor off an OT car that I did the brakes on.
    It would work just as well without the stand but for my purpose at the moment works quite well.
    Sorry about the crappy background as I just ran out and snapped a photo and ran back in while watching the Daytona 500 Demo derby.
    IMG_2177.JPG

raven, belair, USMercUte and 3 others like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also you can buy plugs to renew damaged cords albeit this is not rocket science wiring has certain priorities of wire to particular blade...Neutral/Hot and in most garage tools a ground and fairly basic care is required as this can kill you or burn your house down if things are not done correctly...

Lots of YouTube help and other sites with how to tackle these tasks.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Pretty familiar with that routine, especially around Xmas time.

chryslerfan55 and louisb like this.
  18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just exactly what kind of basic care is required for a fairy?:confused:

j-jock, 56don, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My apologies This F'n phone autocorrects stuff all the time...it changed certain to curtain too...grrrrrr

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    louisb and Stogy like this.
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Outlets and wires are marked or color coded, there is only black (live) and white (neutral) and green (safety ground).

Stogy likes this.
  22. Ever try plugging your air tools into the extension cord?
    Unbraid the cords?

23. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

31Vicky I dont recall needing to do that but it was some time ago and my memory isn't what it used to be! I think I just stripped the coating back, got to the bare wires and connected them up. I'm no electrician and I haven't burnt anything up yet so I must have gotten it correct! :D

And I have tried to plug my air tools into the power cord. Didn't have any luck tho!:D

24. egads

egads

$6.99.[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  25. BJR

BJR

How many times have you flared a tube, and then realized you forgot to put the fitting on the tube first?:eek:

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

27. grifcarnut

grifcarnut
    from Tucson Az

Don’t forget the GFI when around damp or wet work areas!

Stogy likes this.
  28. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Main thing I'm still learning is...slow down!
    About 20 years ago (mid 40s) I'm working on a Briggs and Stratton 5hp motor with side cover off. It's running, I decide to adjust idle speed with this flat blade screwdriver I'm holding.
    Flywheel is spinning, I reach through to carburetor when "BUMP", one of the cooling fins hits screwdriver which drives it into my EYE!
    I pull it out, look at the sun and I'm blind...it's dark. Wife drives me to the hospital flying flashers going.
    That screwdriver went through eyelid, rolling eyeball up, iris was detached.
    At the ER they asked why I pulled screwdriver out (to me it was a natural reaction!).
    They sewed up eyelid, I wore an eyepatch...and the Good Lord must have been watching out for me. Each day the iris went back a little at a time until weeks later it healed. Vision is back...the ophthalmologist called me "the miracle guy".
    Bottom line is getting a.c. cords fouled up, improper flares can be fixed...but sometimes a mistake, something that may take an extra minute can be deadly.
    SLOW DOWN[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

29. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Screwdriver in eyeball makes me cringe. I'm glad it healed!

46international, catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  30. Rich S.

Rich S.