Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stupid questions and those who ask them (p.s. it's me)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by That_53_Guy, Nov 19, 2018.

1. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

I've been posting about my battle with my 3x2 Stromberg 97 set up. As someone new to this hobby, I truly appreciate the help. It's been quite the adventure.

On to my next brain twister: how do I disengage the front and back carbs so I can dial in and run just the middle carb for now?

Thanks again guys 20181118_124049.jpeg 20181118_124105.jpeg IMG_20181015_202914.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. DesertRat#1

DesertRat#1

Was suggested to take them off and capping those two areas of the intake. If it was mine, I would screw any air adjusters in until they lightly bottom. Do this on the front and back carb only. Then I would disconnect the multiple linkage so only the center carb throttle linkage. Then I would back the air/idle screws on the center carburetor two full turns from light seating. Having a dwell tach and vacuum gauge connected under the hood are HIGHLY desirable but not absolutely required. A timing light is a bonus. It is important that you verify the fuel pressure the 97's want is what you have your fuel regulator adjusted to. Start the car and warm it up. Adjust the idle mix screws if needed to what is needed. The motor will tell you when it is happy. Good luck and keep us posted.

3. putz

putz
    from wisc.

desertrat , right on .............

osage orange and DesertRat#1 like this.
  4. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

Thanks for the info! I have the fuel reg. Set right at 2.5. I do have a timing light, set timing the other day. For now I really just want to take my daughter out cruising while the weather is so nice. Will worry about the other 2 carbs later. Thanks again.

DesertRat#1 likes this.

5. On my setup, I blocked off the two end carbs and got the center one running good before dealing with the others. If you have a vacuum leak on one of the end carbs butterflies then you won't be able to get the center one running right.

6. F&J

F&J

I don't know if your engine has a rubber mounted damper that might have moved the timing mark if it slipped, but I always try bumping the timing by ear on lots of older engines that aren't quite right with the light; (rather than assume the mark has not moved)

7. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

Got it, will look tonight, appreciate the suggestion

8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I don't know. I never had a tripower, but wouldn't a couple block-off plates under outer the carbs and a quick rearrangement of the fuel line to center only work?

saltflats likes this.
  9. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

I'll look at blocking plates as a last resort, I'm hoping this is very temporary

10. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I just don't see how you will be able to adjust the center carb properly with all the air coming in the two outside carbs. A carb will draw air with the throttle blades closed. With block plates you could leave the throttle linkage all hooked up. Probably a 15 minute job to make and install a couple plates.

11. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

That makes sense, dont want to mess with linkage if not necessary, what would i make the blicks out of? And do they just go in betweer the manifold and carb base?

12. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

No, you cant leave linkage hooked up with the block-offs in place. Your outer carb butterflies will bottom out.

56don likes this.
  13. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

You are correct. Didn't think about that. Thank you.

Block off plates can be made from a very light sheet metal.

That_53_Guy likes this.
  14. trollst

trollst

There are no stupid questions if you're trying to learn, we're glad to teach. Stupid questions come from time wasters.

15. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Block off plates between carb base and manifold, use progressive linkage like oem Pontiac 3 deuce and you can adjust where they never come into play but still have linkage connected.

16. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Here is a pic, notice linkage from middle to end carb, see how it's slotted? It screws in and out to let you adjust when they come in. If the threads are the same all you would need to do is change the one end of your linkage from your middle to end carb.

Attached Files:

17. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

Now that makes more sense to me, thanks

18. The butterflies won't bottom out on 97's. I'm only running the center carb on my Olds right now so I could get it on the road this summer. I made 20 gauge sheet metal block off plates directly under the carbs with the gaskets in place. I also brazed a couple of my fuel inlets closed because I wanted the look but that is not necessary.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    saltflats, jaw22w and That_53_Guy like this.
  19. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

cactus1 likes this.
  20. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

21. I do to but I will say the only reason they are on there is because that's how the car was built in 1963 and I want it to remain as it was originally set up. Hard lines are a much safer option in my (and most others) opinion.

I have a whole new roll of the blue line that is suppose to be compatible with today's crummy fuel. I keep a very close eye on this stuff (and a fire extinguisher on board) for signs of deterioration.

22. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

Yeah, i need to pick up a fire extinguisher, i think i could plumb in hard line without too much trouble

23. upspirate

upspirate

I would just take off the linkage you have from the outer carbs,run the fuel line just to the center carb and block off the outer carb bases. As has been said, use a plate between the carb and the manifold /carb base gasket. Thin aluminum sheet, trace around a base gasket to get the shape on the aluminum, cut to shape and drill the mounting holes.

24. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

Thanks, that's my project for the long weekend

25. upspirate

upspirate

Just wondering, anyone see any problem with just making a temp block off like he wants to do out of sheet gasket material instead of cutting plates?

RMONTY likes this.
  26. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

I was wondering if i could use rubber for block off plates

27. You could use wood. It'll be fine

That_53_Guy likes this.
  28. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

You could probably cut them out of a beer can with a pair of scissors!

RMONTY likes this.
  29. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

What better excuse to have a couple beers!

upspirate likes this.