Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stupid question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglysteve, Jan 28, 2017.

1. I'm putting a motor together and just read a bunch of threads with dudes saying "put RTV on the china walls" when doing the intake manifold. I've never heard "china wall" in my life.

What does china wall refer to?

2. I have never heard them called that myself but I assume they are talking about the front and back part of the intake. Most throw the little gaskets away and run a bead of sealant. Depends on who you talk to and what motor your talking about.

Jacob helms likes this.
  3. Jacob helms

Jacob helms

Yea some intake gasket sets dont come with the front and back gaskets instead they come with rtv. So you have to pile up a big wall on the front and back of the block

Sent from my LGLS740 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3340 likes this.
  4. 327Eric

327Eric

Lifter valley bulkhead. I first heard the 'china wall' term a couple months back in Hot Rod Magazine. Stupid name if you want my opinion. Dont use too much, as the excess squeezing into the lifter valley could come loose and wreak havoc later. Let it set about 15 minutes before you set the manifold in place.

5. Same here. First heard that term from GM Performance Tech Assistance so I assumed it was a engineering term. Never heard of it before going back to the 1960's.

6. I'm not sure it gospel but I was told to use the RTV then let it set for 30-45 minutes. Then set you intake and do half the torque setting say 15 lbs. then wait another 30-45 minutes and do the final torque. Supposed to keep from squeezing out all the RTV.

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  7. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Use a centre punch and hammer some dimples? in the engine block to help the RTV to stay in place.

8. Did the factory use RTV when new????? Theres you answer...

Hnstray likes this.
  9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I glue the end gaskets to the block with 3M Super 77 adhesive. I also glue the intake gaskets to the heads. Not to the intake manifold though. The gaskets don't move and I haven't had any problems sealing.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. Is this on a Sbc? It is very common to toss the rubber seal and just use rtv on the "walls" of the lifter valley. Where it seals to the bottom of the intake manifold.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of names are changing and I never get the memos. China walls, yeah, it was new one on me too. When did anti-freeze become "radiator fluid"? Same with washer solvent, heard it called "windshield fluid". What's next, tire gas?

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

HaHaHaHa, "tire gas!":D I agree, it's ridiculous:rolleyes:

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

About the time they started calling mechanics "technicians".

kiwijeff and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  14. I was asked to check the "Blinker fluid"! They Obviously believed the wrong person to give them mechanical advice! Hahaha...

Sent from my LGLS991 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never had a problem with the end gaskets on SBC's whether they be rubber or even cork ones of the 60's. I use to file the ends on those and put some Permatex #2 on the ends. I like ones with the little tabs. After every thing was done, painted, tested, etc. I could cut off the tabs... I don't like RTV like sealant but it's what is happening now.

tractorguy likes this.
  16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think this procedure was developed by a guy who opened the gasket package when he bought it to check out the parts inside, and then couldn't find the end seals when he went to change the intake two weeks later.

tractorguy and Stogy like this.
  17. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

RTV sure helped us , after angle milling heads and intake, where NO stock supplied END rubber would.
    I/we used it way back in 1969 .

Speedys Garage likes this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sometimes when using an aftermarket intake or the block has been decked or the heads have been milled or the combination of any and all will make the "wall" gasket area very thin so RTV works the best.

19. Lmao
    The diesel pick up truck guys have commandeered the term "gasser". They use it in a derogatory way to put down non diesel powered trucks.

I've never heard China walls either

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I thought China walls were in China?:rolleyes:

Lots of engines come from the factory with RTV gaskets now days. I've used it for years on Chevys and Fords alike with no problems.

21. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's basically the Gospel according to Permatex copper, they suggest right on the tube to cinch up the item finger tight and wait an hour, then torque to spec, wait 24 hours before use. Lots of folks just tighten it down and go. I'm never that lucky, so anything that can leak I always follow all the rituals and incantations carefully.

Hnstray likes this.
  22. Clik

Clik

Nitrogen filled tires are common these days so, "tire gas" makes sense.

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You got me there:eek::eek::D

24. Clik

Clik

"Sir, can you fill my tire"? "Pull my finger". :)

Montana1 and Kroombit like this.
  25. It's all very confusing, I'm still looking for a left handed screw driver...... thirty years later:D

Now we got fluid gasket for your China wall. :eek:

Phillips and Stogy like this.
  26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Tires have been filled with mostly nitrogen since inflatable tires were invented. The Earth's atmosphere consists of a high percentage (around 78 %) of nitrogen, 21 % oxygen and the remaining 1 % a few other gasses.

Ray

27. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Montana1 likes this.
  28. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Left-handed screwdriver? I have them! I also have metric pliers, vice grips, adjustable wrenches, and hammers. All you want for just 20% more than the standard American stuff!:D

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    kiwijeff and Hnstray like this.