Register now to get rid of these ads!

stupid question: pontiac tri-power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kid berzerker, Nov 9, 2006.

1. kid berzerker

kid berzerker

can '64 tri-power intakes fit onto '65 pontiac motors?.....i've heard no, due to different bolt patterns but I was just wondering how different they actually are....can i make this set-up work

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about yes AND no?

Yes, it can be done, no it's not easy. The bolt pattern diffrence is the easiest to overcome, but there is a port alignment issue you also must address.

The best way to fix the port deal is to weld additional material to the bottom of the 64 intake ports and make them longer. (easier with an aluminum manifold, but still no small task.)

You will also need to mill the sides of the 64 intake to get it to sit down in the valley enough.

OR, you can use 64 heads on yout 65 and up block, but that creates timing cover issues.

There is a dude on the Performance Years Pontiac board who has actually DONE it with a Mickey Thompson crossram. Extensive modification to say the least, but waaay cool.

If you are looking to get a tri-power on your 65 and up with out spending a shit load, there is no easy way.. You can Ebay..the manifolds are going for about 300 and complete set ups for about 1500.

OR, you can buy a repro 66 alominum tri-power for about 425, the you get to find tri-power bases. ($$$)

OR, you can settle for a dual quad. Offy still makes a low and high rise yo can buy new. Edelbrock makes one two. About 350 or so new, 2 to 250 ebay.

Toss on a pair of easy to find Carters and you are ready to go.

If you go to the PY Poncho board, try the search. There should be lots of info. BUT, be carefull walking in and asking a bunch of questions with out introducing your self first.

Good luck. Holler if you need anything. -Abone.

3. kid berzerker

kid berzerker

sounds like a headache.....anyone want to buy a '64 pontiac tri-power intake?

4. rebstew187

rebstew187

I've had one sitting in my garage in the corner for 15 +years not touched.thought one day I'd use it.yeah right.too cool to pitch or sell but not worth the hassle to find and older engine.

5. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kid,

The easiest solution to your problem would be to get rid of the '64 tripower you have and buy the '65 tripower that I want to sell.:rolleyes: If you have any interest PM me and I'll send you a couple photos.

Thor

6. Jimv

Jimv

Boy "flamedabone" you know your Pontiac stuff!! Good man, thats the kinda answer that we HAMBers love.Not" junk the piece of shit" or something like that.
    This is what the HAMBs all about.
    Thank You
    JimV