Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stupid Ford question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old soul, Aug 21, 2012.

1. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Im worken on a 64 ford custom 500. It had a blow up 289 in it when I bought it. It has one of those stupid 5 bolt bell housing deals. I had a 68 302 rebuilt for it. It has 6 bolts in the bell of course. Is there any way around this with out switching the tranny or no???? I have a 85 AOD I was thinking of using. But if I could use the stock tranny. That would be great.

2. redroaddog

redroaddog

if u have a c4 u can change the bell to match the late motor not a big deal....Dave

3. boutlaw

boutlaw

You already know the answer. Ford used the 5 bolts for couple years and nothing six bolt will fit. Lots of stuff will fit the 6 bolt 302, but you're gonna have to have a 6 bolt bell to work. Use the AOD since you've got it.

BOutlaw

4. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

The 85 AOD will have the same 6 bolt pattern as your 302. I am unsure if body mods would be required on the 64. Another option would be to change the front housing on your trans to a 6 bolt housing. I think you would either have a C4 or an iron Cruiso. Either one has a detachable front housing. I think all the 65 and up smallblocks have the 6 bolt pattern.

5. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I beleave I have the iron cruiso. Are you sure the bell unbolts I havent poked my head under there yet to check for sure. I thought the bell only unbolted from the fmx trannys. I could be wrong. I am a chevy man.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

With todays gas prices and us wanting to cruise at interstate speeds, I would just put the AOD in there while I was at it. That 4th gear really drops the rpms down nice and you still get good power out of the hole. If Fore would have had the AOD in 64 that is what your car would have had for sure.

Don

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

8. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

???????

9. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Yea ill prolly end up putting the AOD in there. The tranny has been sitting for about ten years. It had 44k on it when parked. Is there anything I should do to it befor putting it in. Im thinken a filter and pan gasket and front and rear seal.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, that is about it.

Don

11. fabain

fabain
    from new jersey

no can do you have to change the trans.64 was the first year with the 260 v8 then the two 289 early had the 5 bolt bell fords better idea they started to change mid year 65

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The COMs are like the FMX and have a removable bellhousing.

13. George

George

'65s are 6 bolt except the so called 64 1/2 Mustangs that are VINed as '65s.

14. Make sure you get the correct throttle cable to trans going on and adjusted properly or you can smoke your AOD pretty quick!

15. George

George

TCI makes a constant pressure valve body that still needs the cable, but the adjustment is no longer gnat's ass finiky.

16. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Im pritty sure the tranny I have has all mechanical linkages.

17. ALL AOD's use the 164 tooth size flexplate. Some C4 cars had 157 and some had 164. It you have the 164 on your car, it still won't work as they are a different height, so no matter which flex plate you have, you need to get a new 164T 28oz flexplate.
    The stock apllication for these are OEM # E0AZ-6375-A

Also I am 99.9% sure that you are going to have to do some surgery on the trans tunnel to clear the larger AOD and make a new tranmission crossmember.

18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You should not have to do any surgery to the trans tunnel in your full-size '64 my '54 has an AOD and it cleared fine with zero transmission tunnel mods,use ANCHOR mount # 2253.Since your AOD has sat for a long while you really need to do this, while it is out of the car and that is remove the tailshaft and get some Berryman Chem-Tool and give the governor a good cleaning it is a common problem with AOD's that have sat that the governors will stick and that will cause it to not shift out of first gear.To guide you through the process check this link out:http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?15311-transmission-AOD-Governor-swap

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  19. George

George

The early AOD are rod operated. If everything fits w/o clearance problems with the rod you should be OK on the adjustment.

20. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If you have swapped intakes and Carb to a four barrel setup you will find the Lokar linkage is much easier to work with than the OEM rod units.This video was done by one of our Group members: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZwsQViZilQ