Register now to get rid of these ads!

stupid exhaust manifold question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revkev6, Apr 17, 2012.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

hey guys, I just bought a header reducer from summit wrongly assuming it would bolt up to the stock sbc rams horn manifold on my 283. I'm running 2" pipe, anyone have a source for either a flat flange or a reducer to 2" that will bolt up to the rams horns? even a local place like napa would be great!

2. muffler shop?

3. Willy301

Willy301

A muffler shop should be able to take a short section of pipe, and swage it for you. Might have to take a manifold with you, unless they are knowledgable about the fitment on the ram horns.

4. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I get that stuff at Auto Zone or Advance auto, I bought 2 pieces about 6 months ago. (Some oddball size).

5. be sure to run a metal insert in the fiber doughnut, ask a good muffler shop, they can also put it in the exhaust pipe and expand it to stay in

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Ok this is why I say it was a stupid question. I thought rams horn manifold just used a flat plate and gasket. I wasn't aware of the donut setup. I found the donut and the flange at Napa. Does anyone have a pic of how you do the sleeve?

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

You are probably going to need to go to a good muffler shop to form the end of the pipe. It needs to be flared first to seat against the donut like this. Then a 2" long piece of 1 7/8" tubing is expanded inside the pipe locking it in place to make the insert. This Y pipe does not have the insert. They do make 2" steel donuts that don't require the insert but the flare must still be there for the slip on flange to hold the pipe onto the manifold.

As an alternative to that you can cut the flares off of an old Y pipe. The pipe is normally fine that close to the engine even on a junk yard wasted Y pipe of no value to anyone else. The first bender that I had in the 70s didn't have all the tooling so I had my friends buy a Y pipe to harvest the ends. Prices were a little different back then.:D

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

Chrevolet started out with pipes as shown in Tommys picture and learned that the donut burns up so they started making those pipes with a smaller pipe inserted to keep the donut gasket out of the fire. You can do the same thing with Tommys pipes, Get a diameter that slips into the cast iron manifold and weld it inside. I usually buy the pipe Tommy shows(with the insert) at swapmeets for $5 but I have taken straight pipe, flared it with a ballpeen and added the insert. Cost is virtually nothing, works well

9. cshades

cshades
    from wi

just go to your local muffler shop and they can make the piece for you.I make them all the time for $3.