Register now to get rid of these ads!

stump the HAMB'rs whatca got?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Saw this engine the other day while taking some pictures of a '34 Plymouth convertable I'm selling for a friend.

Very unusual early American iron out of a passenger car.
    Looks similar to a Duetz diesel but it's a gas engine.

NAME THAT ENGINE and/or post your stumpers.

[​IMG]
    This 1st picture is of the driver's side but is misleading due to an exhaust pipe laying across the top of the head that doesn't belong... sorry

[​IMG]
    Passenger side.

In this picture there'a a master cylinder sitting next to the valve cover that doesn't belong.

Attached Files:

2. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Looks like somekind of aircraft engine?? Thats my best guess. :confused:

3. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

It looks like a Franklin car air cooled engine to me.

4. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

X2 on a franklin

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

6. ...?

Attached Files:

7. 1932-34? Franklin 8 cylinder aircraft engine w/heat shield

8. Wow, didn't take long for the correct smswer.

9. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

That looks like one of those twin over head cam little straight eight Indy race car engines from the 1920's? That is a guess.

10. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I count 6 plug wires and and what appears to be 6 rocker boxes. What did I miss that has 8 cyl guesses here?

11. post #6

12. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I missed that, thank you

13. I don't know what I got but the doctor asked me to leave his office post haste. :eek:

I have no idea what the engine is, maybe a Stutz? Like an inboard boat motor or something along those lines.

14. Looks similar to my 1929 Franklin engine.

15. fleetside66

fleetside66

This one isn't going to be as easy as that Franklin. Actually, I've had this one here before & have listened to many conjectures, from dragster, to amusement park ride, to airplane (specifically the Bamboo Bomber from WWI), to forklift truck, to speedboat & most recently an industrial valve wheel, etc., etc. Some guys have been very adamant about their theories, but no one has ever come up with a picture or definitive proof. It's 15" in diameter & cast aluminum. I think this one is going to land in the HAMB unsolved mystery drawer, which a actually pretty empty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

You know what, Ill take it home and investigate it for you.. Completely for free too!

17. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Ill take it home and investigate it for you, completely for free!

18. Well its from one of those little trains they drive around in the Pentagon, I can tell by the numer cast into the bottom of it. The P stands for pentagon.

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

20. the-rodster

the-rodster

21. fleetside66

fleetside66

That's interesting (and new). I actually worked there for a couple of weeks back in the 60's & may have actually ridden on that train. I don't really remember that, but after all it was the 60's. I'm going to follow up on that.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Someone already got it.^^^

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

26. Spoggie's looks a bit like an Alfa engine, the steering wheel looks like an amusement ride part, and the OP is Franklin, as if it weren't clear enough by now :)

27. Spoggie's engine looks like Alfa Romeo, the wheel looks like it's from an amusement park ride, and the OP is a Franklin (as if it weren't clear enough by now) :)

28. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Kind of looks like the old stand up fork truck steering wheel we had in the steel shop in the "60's" a spinner knob was in the hole at the bottom ?

29. fleetside66

fleetside66

Yes, I'd say the hole in the bottom is for a spinner knob. You're the first one to say you actually may have seen one like it, although most of the forklifts I've encountered had round wheels. If there ever was a machine that should have a round wheel it should be a forklift. Still, ya never know what a designer might have in his head.

It's funny, I had a guy swear that they've seen the exact wheel in a certain speedboat & I had the pres of the Airline Pilot's Historical Society swear that it was a tiller for an old plane..they have collection of them & pictures of more than 300 variations..he kept the picture for his collection. Go figure.

I'm not discounting anything, but until I see a picture I'm gonna have to keep the book open.

30. except for that extra hole on the bottom , i can imagine that wheel on an airplane or a boat or an amusement ride. i can't see needing that hole on an airplane