Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Studebaker? Turbo? Truck?... Huh?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by backyardbeliever, Sep 16, 2015.

1. cfmvw

cfmvw

Great job on the fab work and the 3D renderings...are you using Solidworks for that? I designed my passive solar home with that, amazing what you can do with it. Put it on a chassis dyno, I'd love to know what it's putting down!

2. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

Thank you to everyone for the kind words I surely do not consider myself a fabricator by any means. But we all know in the Hot Rod /Jalopy world one must learn to piece shit together, cut fit weld etc... I over the last few years have taught my self to do 3D modeling in Solidworks and it is a GREAT help in ways I never imagined as far as getting concepts to be pictures/models and ultimately created. This turbo project is my first "HotRod" use of it not very "Traditional" I know but anything I can do to further my progress making ideas happen ill do it.

3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I like them trucks, I find them very appealing.
    I like the paint scheme/plan.

But I got to ask. Why the Water/ethanol/methanol injection? Cooling? More power?

I've seen crazy for banger builds with big turbos pumping out a lot of boost and making a lot of power before people goes two injecting stuff to the intake. But most all turbo setups run an intercooler, for more power, from the cold air it breaths. Have you been thinking about doing an intercooler?

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm going to jump in here, uninvited, to point out that intercoolers work well with blow through systems. They really mess up the fuel atomizing with a suck through. I also used water injection on my 270 GMC. Rules in gas classes disallowed anything else in the canister. It was used to avoid detonation. But I was running more boost and for 3 miles at a time WOT. Not sure it is needed for this application. If you look real close you can see the turbos on my 270. I ran a pressure line from the intake log to a sealed canister with water in it. Under boost it would push water out and into the air stream at the carburetor. Seemed to work OK. Well I just reread the beginning of this. I also ran 17 PSI boost. At first I ran 22 pounds. But the exhaust back pressure must have been going up at the same rate as boost. It ran the same speed at 17

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    backyardbeliever and volvobrynk like this.
  5. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

Water/Methanol = Liquid Intercooler/Octane booster also Flatheads are more prone to detonation under boost
    It also has the great effect of scrubbing the carbon out of the chambers
    Oh and I love this part..... Its Traditional......The Oldsmobile Jetfire introduced in 1962 the worlds first turbocharged production car had Water/Methanol injection But they called it "Rocket Fluid"

6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes, I see.

Another case of me thinking after I asked my question.

I forgot you ran fuel true the turbo. That's a very different set up.

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I found this from your post on the six in your hot rod thread. This thing is great. Is the trans a T86? Don't know if you care but a floor shift top plate from a Jeep T90 can easily be adapted to the T86, almost a bolt on.

8. Fedman

Fedman

Great project, thank you for sharing it.
    One question, I have always understood that Cast iron rings are fragile with any form of detonation compared to Chrome Moly Rings, how do you make sure your rings are safe from detonation?
    Again great project look forward to further updates!

9. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

[QUOTE Water/Methanol injection But they called it "Rocket Fluid"[/QUOTE]

Haha gee I bet they sold bottles in the parts dept. for a small fee too?

Looks good James !

11. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, BYB;
    Thanks for the pics. That set-up looks very well thought out & also well (properly) built. Beautiful job. Marcus...

12. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

Im sure your right if i could have Forged pistons and moly rings in my hands i would have used them proudly there isnt many choices for a Studebaker flat 6 with a 3" bore without having custon stuff made $$$ ......im hoping H2O/meth. stops any detonation that may happen. also Aluminum heads are being cast as we speak and that will help too. The litte detonation i have been having is due to me still fighting oil control issues in the turbo.....oil in combustion drasticly lowers octane.

Fedman and volvobrynk like this.
  13. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

I am a big fan of the 3 on the tree. I like having a clear floor and a big cushy bench seat girls sitting next to me keeps my throttle leg warmed up ;). A lot of guys do that swap and love it though.

firstinsteele and volvobrynk like this.
  14. LKR

LKR
    from Australia

Hell yes. Nice work I love it.

15. Haha. Dude ! Awesome. AND a aluminum head being cast as we speak ? You sir ... f#ckin' rock. Of course I love it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Ran across a 49 Stude truck last weekend with a turbo charged Slant 6 in it. Never ran into the owner and my camera died so I didn't get any details or pictures but it was a very interesting install. Hope yous runs long and well.

17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice.Well thought out.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Love those trucks and your mods. Make sure the needle in that Mikuni (previous page photo) is loose enough that it's not rubbing hard or you'll wear the needle jet oval.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. YesterdayR

YesterdayR

Has anybody or Legendary Bill C ever reversed the inlets and exhaust ports?
    Bill believed maintaining backpressure via small-diameter exhaust systems
    improved their performance. Since exhausts speeds are always healthy reducing
    the ports to the 3 bigger inlets probably would not hurt in a turbo application and
    yet the extra ports converted for inlets would create less inlet heat issues.
    Im sure theres plenty of meat for enlarging the exhaust ports for inlets and the same
    for reversing the valve sizes to suit the new configuration on these stout blocks.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018