Register now to get rid of these ads!

Studebaker performance question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spitfire1776, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

.....an oxy-moron perhaps? Just joking.

Anyhow, now that i have this new Studebaker truck in the garage, i 've been digging around finding ways to hop it up. Rumor has it that a pretty competent carb set-up was brought out for the I-6's. (The trucks has a 170 in it now, but I got a spare 226 with trans and rearend off the guy as part of the deal. Not sure if I'm gonna switch out the engines.) Anybody know of this? Or a place I can start looking other than Ebay or the Stude board? I know there's a Studebaker farm out Pittsburgh way, but its gonna be awhile till I can head ou that way.

2. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

By the way in case anybodies wondering why I don't switch out the 170 with the 226 - I'm thinking about putting it in my T.

3. fargoguy

fargoguy

Try this site:
    www.racingstudebakers.com

Also there is a fellow in the US - the business is called Cathcart's studebaker. I can't find their contact info right now, but if you're interested, i can pm you the info when i get home from work. Cathcart's is a full service speed shop dealing in equipment for the 170 and 185 sixes. The 224 is the Commander six, very nice and smooth running engine, but VERY few speed parts available for the bigger six. Congrats on running the Stude engines! Evan

Here' the link:
    http://www.cathcartsstudebaker.com/

4. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Thanks, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I appreciate it.

5. ttdolson

ttdolson

Hey man, if you need any info or parts let me know as I have inherited a large quantity of Studebaker truck parts.

I was going to include them with my truck when it sells but if there is something that you need I may be able to help.

I spent about 4900.00 on my stude 170 flathead. (bored,stroked,polished) I runs great. They really are a very stout engine.
    As for the speed parts,

Aluminium head (better copression,cool look) = two year back order
    Dual carb intake (big power increase) = expensive because you now have to buy a new one-off custom exhaust manifold. Which by the way will require a new dual exhaust pipe.
    Than there is the performance "3/4" race cam!!!!

But if you can find all of the parts you'll love the performance.

6. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

HMMMM....two year back order.....I was looking at them and became keen on them, too. Damn. 775 for the dual intake setup isn't that bad if its a good gain. I was planning making my own headers.

Thanks for the parts offer. I'll keep in touch with that. The only thing the truck really needs now is the clutch and brake linkages loosened up, new door bottoms, and new front fender rear bottoms, and carb rebuilt (won't idle very well). The engine I'm happy about because its not making any fearful telltale noises with a stetho. I haven't really gotten to tear into more of it, because I have to finish other stuff up first. Oh, and a strip and re-paint, somebody brushed baby blue house paint over the outside.

Here's a pic of it when I picked it up.

7. fargoguy

fargoguy

scratch,
    I'd call Cathcarts- i talked to them a few weeks ago and they had all the speed parts in stock for that machine- no mention of two week backorder. Evan

8. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Bill Cartcart is the six-cylinder power guy, along with "Digger" Dave from Indiana, Bill Fennessee from Nashville, Tennessee is the guy for rubber, Jim Turner (http://www.turnerbrake.com) is the guy for brakes, Phil @ Fairborn Studebaker or John Poulos ([email protected]) for clutch and other consumer parts.