Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Studebaker People

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Jan 3, 2017.

1. We are always interested in build threads. :cool:

Jacksmith likes this.
  2. Go ahead...spur some intress in saving one........

Jacksmith likes this.
  3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

1964 R1 Avanti 15,000 miles. Had really bad paint so I had it redone, added the wheels also. avanti.jpg
    KK

4. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Yes, mine is a half ton. It spent years hauling around a huge overhead camper. The camper was so big it had its own tag axle under the rear of it...poor little truck. But, because of that, my bed floor is pristine.
    FB2.jpg IMG_2355.JPEG IMG_2357.JPEG IMG_2399.JPEG

Attached Files:

Jalopy Joker, SS327, egads and 6 others like this.
  5. Yes there are Stupidbaker people out there...... Stude hood pins.jpg

6. And it takes sooo little to excite them......... Stude motor close up.jpg

Jalopy Joker, SS327, egads and 3 others like this.
  7. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

60 Lark rf.JPG
    I'm going to pick this Lark up on Monday... and started a thread; "Saving a Studebaker"

Jalopy Joker, SS327, egads and 3 others like this.
  8. Sweet......maybe I'l start one on the little Daytona..........maybe blow up the HAMB with Studebaker threads....

Davesblue50, LOST ANGEL and scotty t like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

A year ago, we drove by this old historic tire shop that has been around the South Coast beach city area for around 60 years. We used their services on several cars we used over our long distance surf trips from the Westside of Long Beach when we were teenagers. They were one of the only tire service places along this coastal area. Plus, it was convenient as it was on the Highway1 Coast Highway heading North or South.

It is still in business and doing well as can be during the pandemic years. Are tires non-essential? For us, they are essential. Without tires, how can we get to work or the medical emergencies?

But, I did see this Studebaker Sedan sitting out in front with a for sale sign on it. It was a mild custom with some modifications done to a Studebaker Sedan? But, it was also for sale. At the time, it was in the action days of the pandemic. It stood out on the parking lot at it was a green car in a field of blues, whites, grey and black cars.

Jnaki

At the time I took the photos of the green Studebaker Sedan, I thought it was a part of the auto repair business or tire business. but in recent research, I came up with a photo from 2013 and it was connected to the art business, located next door to the tire shop/auto repair business.
    upload_2022-12-25_5-10-52.png photo dated from 2013

Now, the amazing thing is, from 2013 to 2020 is 7 years. If this is the same Studebaker sedan, either the research date was wrong and now it is a full restoration to its former glory or this is how it started back in 2013. Or the other end of the spectrum…Remember, this is a salt water infused air that circulates daily. In the afternoon, despite being a far distance away from the oceanfront sandy shore, the salt air does its stuff. “Rust never sleeps.”

There is always an onshore breeze/wind bringing salt air, moisture or salt air fog into shore almost daily. So, with most of the small cities with small houses and garages, if there is one, something has to park on the streets. Now, there is still mystery. Is it a 2013 photo of the Studebaker sedan and the art studio or has it taken 9 years of daily salt air attacks to get the green paint to the stage it was when I photographed the sedan in the same parking lot.

Jnaki

Here are those old photos from the other post on Studebakers.
    upload_2022-12-25_5-11-21.png
    The Studebaker did not last too long on the huge lot and who knows where it is these days. Hopefully, some Studebaker guy/girl bought it and is doing a nice restoration to safe driving standards.
    upload_2022-12-25_5-12-1.png
    Well, at least, the color is green, tying into the last vestiges of our Christmas holiday season… Merry Christmas.

Balljoint likes this.
  10. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Aww...isn't that cute, proving he didn't make it past third grade spelling !!

Mike

11. scotts52

scotts52

Pretty sure he's being sarcastic. I think that's his car.

12. cabong

cabong

Pretty sure that by now everyone knows the story of my wife's Lark, but what the heck, maybe there's a Stude person out there that doesn't.... I'll try to make it short. My wife saw this Lark in a storage yard, and told me about it for years. One day it disappeared. We inquired, and found out it belonged to the owner of a repair shop next door. Turns out it had been stolen, for the wire wheels it sported, and later I saw it in an impound yard. I went to the yard and the owner wanted a fortune for it, but I talked him into a less outrageous fee. I went back for one last look. All panels had been kicked in, and the top had been caved in. Every piece of glass had been broken, and it was sitting on the rims in mud..... I said to myself, No flipp'n way....this is stupid!!!!! I walked away about 10 steps and then did what we should never do. I turned around. The first thing that caught my eye was the first three letters of the license plate.. I was screwed !!! I found a donor car and replaced all the glass and trim, straightened out all the panels, and painted it the stock yellow but with a flattening agent, as Nancy likes primer. Then in went a '62 GT 289/4-spd combo, and the rest is history. I gave it to Nancy for Xmas that year, about 30 years ago. Merry Christmas all !!!! Lark 001.JPG lark 006.JPG

Jalopy Joker, Balljoint and egads like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My late Brother had 2- 53's, one in 1960, the other in 2010. 2012-08-10 115737.jpg img20200702_0009.jpg

15. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

RAK likes this.
  16. Balljoint

Balljoint

My grandfather was a Studebaker fan. He wasn’t a hot rodder but he was a mechanical genius, nothing beyond a high school graduation but he was called upon by family, friends and acquaintances to fix and repair almost anything, be it mechanical or electrical. He drove Studebakers most of his life. I was only 7 years old when he passed but I remember three of them sitting in the yard at that time. He drove one until it was no longer economical to repair, then get another and continue on. When he passed there were two Larks in the driveway that I think were from the 50’s, one was white and the other a gold or tan color. There was also a black car from the 40’s, not sure what that model was. Several years later my grandmother called a local salvage yard to haul them all off, along with a Dodge from the early 50’s that had an early hemi in it, and a Dodge truck from the late 20’s to early 30’s that had been sitting out in the trees. I told her I wanted to fix them all up and keep them but at less than ten years old I can’t fault her for her skepticism. If a guy could only get ahold of a time machine….

stillrunners likes this.
  17. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

My '56 Transtar is driven daily. It started out rough and still is but it gets the job done. A work in progress.

Then:
    56 Studebaker C.L. ad rf.jpg

Now:
    4 56 Studebaker.JPG

18. 57Fury440

57Fury440

I always liked Studes. I had a 63 Lark 2 door with a 289 and automatic that I bought when I got out of the Army in August 1969. It was in good condition, and I got it for $120.00. At the time I needed something until I finished my 57 Plymouth and got it back on the road. The Lark is long gone and one of its wheel covers hangs on my garage wall. The picture of the 57 Stude belonged to my cousin. It was originally a 259 2 barrel. We put in a 289 4 barrel with a cam and dual exhaust. It had a 3 speed with overdrive. Stude Hub Cap.jpg Rit's Stude.jpg That is me second from the left in the picture back in 1965.

Balljoint and stillrunners like this.