Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Studebaker Champ info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldCarPilot, Sep 9, 2021.

1. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

I just purchased a 1960 Studebaker Champ for a 6 year project for my 10 year old.
    I am not a car novice but definitely an a Studebaker novice. I've looked around and found a few resources but it's hard to find specifics.
    Brakes are my first get. I'm going to go with the Turner disk kit but keep drums on the back. I've seen a chevy conversion for them but very little specifics on that. Anyone have an info on this? Or also any resources specificity for this truck?

Thanks in advance! 20210906_154822.jpg

2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Not much out there because...there's not much out there !
    There are Chevy to Stude chassis mounts for the cars, but nothing for the trucks that I'm aware of.
    A Small Chevy engine gets lost in that huge engine compartment. I've known two people that have installed big Chevy engines. Both did the task differently.
    General, multi-car, front motor mounts should work. Just get the engine in at the correct angle and straight. You're on your own for the trans. mount. There are so many different transmissions available, no one that I've ever heard of makes a specific one. Again, there are many...different trans. mount/crossmembers available.

Summit and Jegs are your friend.

One thing, most all of the 1/2 ton Studebaker trucks used the same chassis. So what parts that may be available for one year, should be somewhat easy to come by. and fit many years.

Stude parts -
    1. Studebaker International
    2. Myers Studebaker
    3. Studebaker Vendors - https://www.studebakervendors.com/
    4. Summit Racing & Jegs

Forums -
    Studebaker Drivers site

Looks like a good sand blasting may be in order too !
    Good luck, have fun.

Mike

LAROKE likes this.
  3. southerncad

southerncad

First join the Studebaker Drivers Club, best investment you will ever make in your Champ pickemup. And the Turner disc brake set up is a great upgrade, and you don't really need to do a power brake upgrade with it...

Hnstray and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  4. You asked for resources and some have been provided. SDC is maybe not your modification to Studie source that's out there but yes you can small block it with a GM trans of your choice and while at it just change out that rear end for a GM unit as well. I've keep my Studie's going since 1973 with the stock cast off parts guys provide after their upgrades- have fun with this truck - I think the fender out side bed you have is the better of the two. Lots of parts - cab wise - are Lark based so there's your source.

5. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Thanks. Not going to small block it at all. Keeping the 289 in it. I want to keep it as Stude as I can but the back brakes seem like they need to be converted.

6. jroberts

jroberts

My Champ has a 289 R1 Studebaker engine. It fits fine. I am getting ready to put the Turner brakes on the front. It now has a Studebaker three speed w/overdrive., but am seriously considering a 5-speed tranny next. I am hoping to lower it a bit at some point. Keeping your Champ as original as possible while putting some important non-Studebaker touches on it is a good way to approaching a Champ pic-up, especially for a young person. Keep up the good work.

7. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

Hey, nice truck. Long bed even. I would love to have one like it for a general use truck.
    Instead of spending money on a disc brake conversion, you might consider rebuilding the drum brakes. It would probably save you a bunch of money you could use for other repairs on the truck. Check the link below, it shows how to make Chevy truck drums work on your hubs.

https://studebaker-info.org/Tech/Brakes/kaiser/trkdrum.html

firstinsteele likes this.
  8. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I used 75 camaro rotors and calipers and made my own brackets. There is a post on here showing them. I have not driven it yet but it has a good solid pedal.

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

10. T-Beast

T-Beast

Hi !
    We are looking for a -39 Studebaker Dictator / President 4D doors, got any doors for sale. ?!