Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Studebaker 289 valve covers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bgthegreat, Sep 2, 2018.

1. bgthegreat

bgthegreat

Trying to clean up my engine bay. Does anyone know if the Studebaker 289 valve covers are interchangeable? Looks like the Buick 322, Olds or Ford Y block could work. I may have to get mine chromed, but I want it to look good with the stock SS ignition dress up.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I severely doubt they interchange with anything but another Studebaker.

Offenhauser makes aluminum valve covers but they are not cheap. $251 from Summit.
    [​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Nope, not without a lot of cutting, welding and drilling.
    Offenhauser has some nice rocker covers, but I'd guess you know that. Dress them with an Offenhauser breather or two, that can change the look a bit.

[​IMG]

Mike

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

IIRC, one of the 'traditional' aluminum valve cover manufacturers made finned covers that were fairly easily adaptable to the Stude engine....Early Cadillac OHV (331) is the closest in dimensions to Stude engine, but they also might have been for Olds 303/early 324. I seem to recall seeing that in a thread here quite some time ago, though it possible it was featured somewhere else. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I think you have a valid idea nonetheless.

Ray

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Here is an idea I had years ago and never did anything with. Cover your valve covers with bondo and sculpt to whatever shape you want. On the top you can embed some strips of aluminum and polish the edges, then paint the rest of the valve cover. You could also include an emblem, script like a Studebaker fender emblem etc. Mold in what you want and paint with aluminum paint.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Rusty.....in the words of a dear departed friend...."Blow your nose and get that idea out of your head!" :D

Ray

48fordnut and stillrunners like this.
  8. PackardV8

PackardV8

The Offy covers for early Olds V8 are the same as the Studebaker V8, although '51-'61 Studes use 4 bolts.

HAMBers will recoil in horror at the mention that GM Vortec center bolt aftermarket tall covers can easily be modified to work.

[​IMG]

jack vines

Hnstray and Bearcat_V8 like this.
  9. The combinationOlds/Stude aluminum valve covers where you drill the set of holes you need look good. I thought I tried a pair of Olds covers on my 289 and they hit the rockers.
    I just went chrome on mine
    S2D 299ci.jpg IMG_1059.JPG

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Weiand covers had dual bolt patterns for both Olds and Stude.

There was a set in the classifieds not too long ago

Hnstray likes this.