Register now to get rid of these ads!

studebaker 259

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cove, Jun 11, 2012.

1. cove

cove
    from usa

I just got a studebaker 259 out of a truck, it has a 4 speed transmission but I am told it has a granny gear is there a way to "easily" put a Mopar or Chevy transmission on it?

2. most likely yes....Studes used Borg Warner gearboxes as well as their own...I don't know about the bell housing ....It may have to be swapped out for a passenger car unit...Studebaker Larks from around 1964-65 had an available four speed option...I hope this helps a little.

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

It can be done with all stude parts, maybe a stude expert will chime in..tommy can you hear me?

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I made a pattern for a Sag 4 spd ford mine. Have yet to really make a real one but it looks like its gonna work. Uses the stock Stude bellhousing.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Yes Stude made a belhousing to take the T-10 4sp in the middle 60s. The Stude T-10 has a longer input shaft than the GM version but I believe they can be swapped. I got lucky and found a belhousing cheap.

I believe that there is a guy on the Studebaker drivers club site that sells adapters to put the t-5 up to the standard Stude belhousing. Ask around at the SDC site for the correct information.

Don't forget that unlike a Chevy or a Ford A Stude belhousing needs to be dialed in when it did not come with the engine. Each one was custom fitted to its engine at the factory and has to be refitted to a different engine.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a Packard engine that came from a '56 Golden Hawk. It came with a Ford bolt pattern bellhousing. I bolted a top loader to it.

7. jrlemke

jrlemke

Some truck bellhousings had room to drill the Chev pattern!

8. like Rich said the car or truck three speed bell housing is of the Ford bolt patern....and like Tommy said the later car bell housing 60-64 4 speed had a T-10 bolted on it.....and like was said - Stude bell housings give you alot of room to drill - but do do an alignment....

did I just put do do in a thread?

9. cove

cove
    from usa

thanks for the info

10. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED