Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical stude V8 to chevy st transmission

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by vetteson, Jul 6, 2021.

1. vetteson

vetteson

Is anyone aware of an adapter that will mate a chevy standard trans. to a stude V8. Or has anyone made an adapter?

2. Stooge

Stooge

I thought the Ford T-5's were the 'pretty close' transmission of choice for the Studebakers. the first stop i would make, would be, and im not sure if he has a site or might have to email him if he still makes them, but Dan Giblin sells/ or atleast used to sell, an adapter kit i have seen over on the Studebaker driver's club, and i believe is to bolt a T-5 in place. Phil Harris' Fairborn Studebaker parts, along with Bendtsens/ Speed Gems both have adapters for Studebakers to GM autos, and might have some insight on what people are using for manual swaps.

stillrunners and vtx1800 like this.
  3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

stillrunners and bchctybob like this.
  4. Jokester

Jokester

Which Chevy standard trans? Four or five speed?

.bjb

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Studebaker car and truck bellousing from the '60s comes to mind.. not sure of year or model though..
    Early '60s had Chevy pattern, mid/late? '60s had Ford pattern if I remember correctly..

ted kovacs and bchctybob like this.
  6. the 259 Stude motor in my yet unfinished model A sedan, has a bell housing that mates a GM bolt pattern T10 fourspeed to it. It came from a 62 Lark I believe. If you are putting it into an early for hotrod, the clutch linkage for that Bell housing is almost a direct hook up for 39 pedals as well.

7. Reverborama

Reverborama
    from Minnesota

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sko_ford and Nailhead Jason like this.
  9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

The above is one way.

The other way is to find (pretty rare) as noted above, the Stude bellhousing with the GM trans. (T-10/Muncie) pattern.

Either of the above will work with a manual shift trans.
    Only the Phil Harris adapter will work if using an automatic trans.

Mike

stillrunners likes this.
  10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The T10 transmission to fit Studebakers was the same as a Chevy EXCEPT the pilot diameter of the input shaft is larger and slightly longer for the Stude. It was common to re-machine them to fit Chevys. Also, the Stude had an iron case.

loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  11. Humm...both of my Stude 4sp's are aluminum .......

12. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Stooge likes this.
  13. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't doubt the aluminum case and there may be T10 s that have a different mounting bolt pattern. I'm reporting on trans I saw coming from factory "surplus" in the South Bend area. Thinking back, I machined a couple of inputs and never saw the cases. I'm curious; have you seen a Chevy T10 installed behind a Stude V8 using a custom pilot bearing/bushing?

14. Sorry - no I haven't.....should I get a picture of one of mine ? My AMX buddy has the same issues with the AMC trans.

15. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took a pic of 2 input shafts; the left is Stude and the right is Chevy. I hope the info is useful. IMG_1985.JPG The left is 7/8 in longer overall and the chamfer on the spline starts about 3/16 above the right one. The Stude pilot dia. is .748 in. and the Chevy is .490 in.

Tim likes this.
  16. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Don't be shaming the Chevy just because his shaft is 7/8 smaller, hehehe!!

joel likes this.
  17. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a Mustang T5 behind my Stud 259 with a Phil Harris adaptor kit. The kit came with a stepped bearing that reached out to the input shaft. He also has the kit for a Chev T5. Very easy install. I would measure the input shaft and the distance from the back of the bell housing to the flywheel adding for the thickness of the adaptor plate.
    Warren