Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stude-uar (pronounced Stude-War)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flipper, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Starting yet another dream. Merging a 1954 Studebaker Starlight Coupe with some early jaguar parts (1954 Jaguar engine and transmission along with bits and pieces from the 1959 jag that donated parts to Roofus). Thinking along the lines of a sports car/ road race type theme.

We found it on Craigslist 450 miles from my house. We went and looked at it this weekend and struck up a deal. Gotta go back with a trailer sometime soon.

I can't tell if the previous owner was building a drag car or a street car. Fiberglass lift off front cap, fiberglass truck lid, fiberglass dash, fiberglass rear bumper, new weather stripping, NICE aluminum radiator, butchered firewall to make room for the Cadillac motor that supposedly used to be there and some really questionable looking front suspension work.

When we get it to dad's house we will start mocking stuff up to see what looks like it might work. Right now, I'm thinking, lowered with Halibrand sprints and some 50's sports car looking seats...and maybe a roll bar.

[​IMG]01717_zwBYJQRJTQ_600x450 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

[​IMG]00g0g_gGLeUv8v1OY_600x450 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

[​IMG]00o0o_kc1VRqrCMtw_600x450 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

[​IMG]00p0p_lAXDo77Quie_600x450 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

I'm at least the third owner since it became a project. Some stuff got lost in the shuffle.

Anybody have any studebaker odds and ends laying around? I need:

1) a drivers side window regulator and inside handle
    2)both outside door handles
    3)both inside door handles
    4) trunk latch pieces
    5) headlight assemblies

Hood is supposed to be hinged, but it is currently riveted to the front cap (Camaro scoop has already been shit-canned). None of the inner fender stuff is on the car, not sure If I want to go back stock or fab something. Any Stude guys have any input?

brEad likes this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

your Studebaker is a beautiful car

3. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

It has potential. It looks like it was probably a barn-find car before the PO got ahold of it. Rear half of the body is straight and solid and the front windshield glass hasn't delaminated....probably sat indoors for a long time.

4. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Sounds like an interesting project. I'm glad to see that it isn't nearly as scary in the photos as what I imagined when I read your description! They are such beautiful cars, and they rarely look better after being modified. The more you can make it look factory, the better, IMO.

I spent a glorious day yesterday driving one almost like it, a '55 version. You have to enjoy any December day in Colorado that involves driving a Stude.

I do have some spare Studebaker parts, bud sadly my stash doesn't include any of the parts you are looking for.

Oddly enough, I'm building a similar project. I guess I should call it a Taxi-uar. I'm using all the suspension and running gear from an XJ12 in my London Taxi, and converting it to a sedan delivery in the process.

[​IMG]

5. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Looks like a darn good starting point. Check out Studebaker International, you'll be surprised at all the parts still available. Inside and outside handles are still available. I have 61' model door handles on my 55', nobody knows any different, unless you're doing a full on resto. Lots of parts fit alot of years.

6. boojoe

boojoe

Great find !! Good luck with it

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Agree, partly. Conversely, there is simply NOTHING like a Studillac. Engine resembles the Stude (enough to fool most 'non-Stude-ents') and delivers a whole boxcar full of torque.
    Of course, the SBC has gained favor with that engine compartment as well.
    I worked on many instances of Jags since the '50s, and favored their chains less than I did 911 Porsches...
    Attractive engines, and a 'worthy exhaust note'...still, for practicality, gimme that big Bent-8!
    The Studes are worth it.

8. A friend of mine owns this one. Has a BBC for power. 043.JPG

9. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Lowey coupes are just cool, no matter what you power them with. I prefer my Bui-baker. IMG_20150817_175509784~2.jpg

MO54Frank, belair, Clay Belt and 2 others like this.
  10. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

You should incorporate the Jaguar front suspension and rear end.

11. 59 Jag suspension was nothing special. Solid rear axle, drum brakes, no R&P

12. thinking those fiberglass parts are kinda rare.....

Atwater Mike likes this.
  13. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Great project
    This will be fun to watch

14. primed34

primed34

'53 and '54 coupes are some of the best looking cars ever made. Good luck.

MO54Frank and cad-lasalle like this.
  15. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Great project!

I don't think I have any of the important parts you're looking for. Maybe a extra set of inside door handles, but I'll need to dig.
    I spent 6 months chasing parts and finally gave in and bought a rusty parts car. Best investment I made.

Trunk latch- Don't bother with finding an original. The latch mounts to the trunk and the catch to the tub- It needs to be reversed so it can be popped open without having to run a cable across the underside of the deck lid. I hate the look of that....

hood hinges- I just spent six+ hours adjusting mine so I could get my hood to latch. these bolt to the cowl. If I was in your shoes, I'd use a BMW reverse opening system with a dual-pin latch setup from a Jeep Cherokee hood. The pins would latch to the firewall and would eliminate the inevitable opening-at-speed these hoods are notorious for. Just a thought.

brEad and banjeaux bob like this.
  16. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Thanks for the insight on studebakers. This is the first coupe I've owned. I have drooled over them in magazines and car shows for decades, but never took that big first step.

Looking at the car, it looks a little flimsy in the cowl area. I can see where they might have issues with a stout motor.

What size Cadillac motors do people use when making a Studillac? Do they use the caddy trans too? I think dad has a 53 or 54 331 cad engine/trans.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    brEad likes this.
  17. J D Coop

J D Coop

I used a 365 ci. '58 Caddy in my 55 President Speedster. No firewall cutting was necessary. I used a bellhousing adapter to mate the Caddy to the stock 3-speed O.D. Studebaker transmission. 4.56 rear end. It would torque the frame on a hard launch.

18. RRichFox

RRichFox

19. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

That has been a reoccurring thought for me too. As a matter of fact, the original plan was to build a stude for the Ohio mile. By the time I found something to build, they made the decision to not race there anymore. .....but the studebaker fire was lit, so now it is going to be a street car. I'm trying real hard to keep it capable of doing long trips (Bonneville, beach, or whatever) and get more gas mileage than the 13 mpg my flatbed gets .....WITHOUT INSTALLING A LS

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Clay Belt, Ned Ludd and Hnstray like this.
  20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am a loooong time Studebaker fan, since the late '50s, especially the C & K Coupes.

Timeless design........even the Museum of Modern Art awarded the Milestone '53 cars the honor of being featured there some years ago.

Carry on......I'll be watching...... with anticipation! :)

Ray

21. deucemac

deucemac

I agree with Atwater Mike. Dependable and old Jaguar are not usually found in the same sentence or paragraph for that matter. They sound good, look impressive, but having had a friend that tried to use his as a daily driver resulted in a short conversation that went something like this. "Where's the Jag?" "In the shop". "AGAIN?" "Yep". Seems they had a penchant for chains, head gaskets, drooling oil from every point, not to mention the fabulous Lucas electrical systems. If you do follow through with it, be sure your AAA CARD is up to date. Put a Cad in and mate it to a 5 speed if that blows your skirt up, but leave the Jag stuff for restorers that have trailers and usually only drive on golf course lawns. I am sure others will disagree that is my view. My friend learned to take someone with him so he had somebody to talk to while waiting for the tow truck.

Hnstray likes this.
  22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Even though I expressed enthusiasm for your choice of a Studebaker coupe to build, I have to agree with those who point out the basic shortcomings of the earlier Jag components. Caddy, Olds, Buick, SBC (ugh), Chrysler (whoo hoo), are all traditional and competent engines.

Though it is technically OT, the GM 4.2 L DOHC Six (aka Vortec 4200/ "Atlas") used in 2002 through early 2009 mid size SUVs is a 'modern Jaguar". Google it.......

Ray

23. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

The minute I saw the first picture, I thought of ECTA ;). Gwon, you know you want to! It's so much fun, I'm here to tell you.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

24. Packard !

MO54Frank likes this.
  25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The Jaguar engine is very tall, being a long stroke six with double overhead cams on top. I don't think it will fit under a Studebaker hood, they had trouble getting the much lower Stude V8 to fit, they had to offset the air filter to the side.

Cadillac 331 is what Bill Frick used in his Studillac conversions. He also used a Mercury rear axle and a heavy duty radiator.

Then Stude brought out their Packard powered Golden Hawk for 1956 followed by a blown 289 in 57 so no more Studillacs.

26. aircap

aircap

Better hurry. A pal of mine is building a Jag powered Stude for the salt...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Hmmm,.........Jaguar fitted them under the hoods of C, D and E Type models and they have quite low hoods.......check out how they did that.....

Ray

28. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Cool! Do you have any pics?