Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stude Pickup Warehouse Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Oct 30, 2021.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah, what was that stuff?

Budget36 and Stogy like this.
  2. bchctybob

bchctybob

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

81wfME3TVhL.jpg

bchctybob and Budget36 like this.
  4. SS327

SS327

What about “Works” toilet bowl cleaner? It would remove that scale in a few hours time. Don’t know about the tarnish though. May work?

Stogy, bchctybob and Budget36 like this.
  5. Budget36

Budget36

I wonder if it’s still produced? May some googling could come up with a like-kind thing, etc. ?

Stogy and bchctybob like this.
  6. AmishMike

AmishMike

Interesting tests. Just remembered in the military we cleaned brass belt buckles with Brasso (sp). Had to rub like hell, buckles had clear coat on at start, but May be worth a try.

Stogy likes this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

I went to military school, I’m very familiar with Brasso, Shinola and buffing cloths.

charleyw and porkshop like this.
  8. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

When the time comes for the radiator replacement, give me a shout. I can give you the lowdown on what I used on my '56. Radiator, trans cooler & mounting.

bchctybob likes this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks, I’ll do that. Living in Az I’m sure you’ve figured out what to do to keep these things cool in the summer sunshine.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it is...you just have to look it up...

bchctybob and Budget36 like this.
  11. patsurf

patsurf

coca-cola

12. Budget36

Budget36

Lol. Was definitely before the “new Coke “ came out;)

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Coke and the other colas work due to the citric acid, right? So citric acid by itself should do the trick without the “sticky”?

Stogy and Budget36 like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Well,,here’s what I know about CA. I had some frozen assemblies that secured my tractor inner wheels tonthe outlers I fashioned up last year. What I noticed was after I covered the bucket with a piece of sheet metal ; like a lid) the CA got real busy. Unsure if it was the heat or what that built up.
    I’d say mix it up, run it through the engine until good and warm with the thermostat out, block the radiator airflow, and let it cook. Then let it sit. Then drain, fill and run straight water, drain and take a look.
    It’s cheap, doesn’t take a lot of time, and then you’ll know if you need to move into something else.

15. bchctybob

bchctybob

I changed the jets in the center carb to 61s trying to get a little color on the plugs.
    The fan spacer i ordered showed up yesterday and I immediately installed it. Much better.
    When I swap in the new engine I will do some work on the motor mounts to raise the front of the engine a bit. That will cure a couple issues and allow me to move the fan even closer.
    New spacer installed….
    4CD34AA1-40C0-462E-8BFA-85B28E9449F7.jpeg

brEad, porkshop, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

While out running around the other day I saw a beautiful ‘59 Bug Eye Sprite so I stopped to take a couple pictures. A real beauty in emerald green metallic, with Minilites, and a light tan leather interior. The owner came out of the market and we talked a bit. I mentioned that I still had a fondness for little English cars and that I have a Morris Minor Woody and an Austin A40. He said that he was in the process of cleaning out his shop and had some Morris parts he no longer wanted.
    So the old Stude parts chaser chased its first parts today!
    IMG_5465.jpeg

I got a hood, a nice door, rear fenders, a bumper and apron, a grille and some other miscellaneous parts. All stuff that I don’t need, but I’m learning to grab stuff when I can.
    I am glad to find some rear fenders, I want to open up the wheel openings and use bigger tires on the back of the Morris but my fenders are perfect so I didn’t want to experiment on them. Now I have an extra pair to play with….
    IMG_5466.jpeg

That’s Mike VV’s controversial street gasser on my trailer in the background….
    IMG_5467.jpeg
    The Stude ran perfectly, the engine ran smooth and stayed cool, the transmission behaved and even downshifted properly at each stop. But I think the E-brake cable snapped or came undone when I parked in his driveway. It also seems to be dripping some fluids again. I’ll check tomorrow.
    Good to have an old pickup truck again.

brEad, lewk, Squablow and 14 others like this.
  17. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Hey! Studebaker trucks don't leak... they mark their territory!

18. Budget36

Budget36

Hey Bob, are you in Southern California now, or ? Got me confused with Mikes truck on your trailer and parts in the Stude.
    Separate timelines?

bchctybob likes this.
  19. Amen. I always say, bring the stuff home, and worry about it later.

Stogy, bchctybob and SS327 like this.
  20. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Sniffing out parts is in its DNA!

21. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m here in VS. Mike and I are still working out whether I’m delivering his Vauxhall to him in SoCal or if he’ll have it shipped. The guy with the Morris parts lives out on Hwy 12 just a few miles from me. I drive by his place every other day going to visit my Mom in her assisted living facility.
    A word about the guy with the parts, Darryl. He is an amazingly clever and ambitious gentleman from England. He built his shop by himself from surplus warehouse shelving, surplus modular cold room panels and surplus corrugated metal roofing panels. It’s looks perfect. He did everything on his two little sports cars, including building his own wheels to accommodate the tires he wanted to use. Everything is metal finished, no filler and he painted both cars. Beautiful. The engines are maxed out ( big bore, ported heads, etc) but look stock. One Sprite and one MG Midget.
    He’s now turning his attention to a mostly rust-free ‘47 International panel with a 350 Chevy. It will be interesting to see if he continues the “looks like it came that way” build philosophy on that one.
    You meet some of the nicest people chasing parts.

brEad, Squablow, charleyw and 4 others like this.
  22. bchctybob

bchctybob

Strolling around a local swap meet I picked up a little “light reading”. No idea how long the old StratoFlight will be in my pickup but this should answer any questions that come up. It worked perfectly today on our run to fill some gas cans. The more I drive it the better it gets.
    IMG_5485.jpeg

porkshop, brEad, Squablow and 4 others like this.
  23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Pfffttt...;
    Now that you have a manual for it, & could look up issues n fixes properly, it'll never fail - just to spite you. :D .
    So you'll have to take it out as a "runner"... :D .
    Marcus...
    Oh, & you *know* the mill in front of it *needs!!!* that common-as-chicken-fangs FI... :D . Do one, then the other - just to prove they work(may as well, wth). Jealousy & envy on others' parts, has *no* bearing on your decision here... :D .

Glad it's working well. Going to the Stude nats in Iowa in 2024?

porkshop, brEad and bchctybob like this.
  24. bchctybob

bchctybob

The only way I could pull off a trip like that is if I have the new ‘62 389 in there and sorted. The way the old ‘59 engine and transmission are running, that would be the only reason to change them out!
    I was thinking about the F. I. today. I have a hot rod that I need to prep and sell. I may dedicate some of the proceeds from that sale to getting the FI unit rebuilt. The question is, which one?
    The handmade, very mechanical looking ‘57 version….
    IMG_3592.jpeg
    Or the cleaner, more Corvette-like 1958 version….
    IMG_3620.jpeg
    I would probably leave off the big ugly cover in either case.

porkshop, brEad, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  25. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Bob...which fuelie unit to rebuild? My answer is yes. Lol. Theyre both super cool.

porkshop, rob-redm, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  26. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Bob;
    If the mill/trans are going good, I'd bet that after a decent roadtrip, they'd be even better, just for & by the use.
    Not being cute here. I did mention doing both. A pain, but the 1st would be the hardest one. Both would be worth way more than the $$/Time invested to make-run-right, esp as a pair, to a collector. But even more to you to be able to use them. Going to move the Poncho-pwrd roadster? I was hoping to see the '58 on it, & the '57 on the Stude. Guess I'd do the '58 1st, since it's most similar to the usual common 'vette ones. The '57 is the last one I'd sell, if for no reason other than the looks. I think you could get the covers to look really good, & maybe even make them "quick-removable" to show the insides, but don't know what that'd do to the value. I'd love to have the '57 on a Stude mill, but don't think the port spacing would be anywhere remotely close to useable, even w/spacers.
    Marcus...

porkshop, Budget36, rob-redm and 2 others like this.
  27. Love this thread.. those fuelie units are so cool....

porkshop and bchctybob like this.
  28. bchctybob

bchctybob

It would be a lot cooler if I could put one back on, but they both need a lot of work and they are a few lines away from the top of my to-do list right now, unfortunately.

porkshop, Dick Stevens and lumpy 63 like this.
  29. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Well, when you get to it is just fine. I can relate to this.

Uhmm.... "Patiently Waiting"... :D .

IF you can only do 1, then since you'll do a 1st-rate job anyways, I'd do the '57. Just my preference.
    Marcus...

porkshop likes this.
  30. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Which one of the fleet are you selling ?

porkshop and bchctybob like this.