Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stude ID help needed.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Pete

Pete

Im looking at a 41 stude but don't know what model it is, im also looking for pics of the car so I can see what the side profile looks like. The owner says its a club coupe but I cant find any info on that model??? Was there such a model?, I thought they were all champion coupes?? But i don't know much about the studes

Pete-

Attached Files:

2. Danny G

Danny G

I have a 41 champion buisness coupe and it didnt have a gas door just a filler tube and cap in the fender. otherwise it looks the same.

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow, beautiful Stude coupe there. From the one side we see, sure looks as though all the great trim for that unique Stude paint scheme is there, too.

Does the seller have a title?

4. Pete

Pete

Yes, care comes with a title. So is it a Champion coupe....or did Stude make a club coupe??
    This car also has a back seat.....

Pete-

5. Pete

Pete

A few more pics.
    Pete-

Attached Files:

6. olds vroom

olds vroom

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

some inspiration. Champs have a small flat 6 194 cubes, commanders and presidents have a larger one 245. I think the small engine is 23 inches give or tak at the head.

Front ends are a bit unusual, fited with a Planar Style set up.

Had an aquaintance that had a 42, but his was a 2 dr sedan. He has since sold it.

This one is owned by a friend in MD it is currently being repainted.

[​IMG]

I believe ther were 2 coupe styles, a buisiness mans with no rear seat and the club coupe or just coupe with a backseat

[​IMG]

8. edweird

edweird

it looks like this one to me. my pops 41 commander coupe with the 245, 3 on the tree with over drive.

Attached Files:

9. aaggie

aaggie

Go to www.carnut.com and click on picture index. You will find pictures of almost everything ever built.

10. Pete

Pete

The one im looking at has a longer trunk with a smaller quarter window.

Pete-

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

businessman's coupe.

12. damit....nice score....

13. Pete

Pete

Has anyone ever seen one of the chopped in a traditional manner, sort of a fade away chop?? Iv looked for photos but came up empty handed. I would basically want to do a heathy chop, skirts and a few mody mods.

Pete-

14. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

wasnt there a car like this stolen not to long ago? i think it was a rare model from what i remember.

15. edweird

edweird

is this a champion or commander ?

16. Pete

Pete

Man I hope its the coupe with the small quarter windows, he's sending more pics soon.

Pete-

17. cutitup

cutitup

the stude is a commander not a champion

18. edweird

edweird

thats what i thought.

19. sololobo

sololobo

What a knockout, get er done. Be a shame to let that one get away. I think they are really a beautiful styled ride. My omaha friends have a cool one but not very street friendly. Here is a shot of The South Omaha Boys, (S.O.B.) coupe that will get them in the 200 club this coming salt event. Good Luck with that sweet coupe. ~sololobo~

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  20. Blackfeatherau

Blackfeatherau

Hi Pete,
    Start by checking the engine bay firewall for the id plate. It will look like
    3G-Q2 (or similar) if it is a Champion. It will also show numbers below that which represent the # vehicle off the production line of this model. Should you not find the plate there, check on the drivers door sill as another location which was used.

A few things I can see:-
    1. Fuel closure looks like Commander as Champion only had pipe and screw cap.
    2. Steering wheel badge unlike simple Champion with single round emblem.
    3. Rear side pane of glass not business coupe size, its larger, possible Commander or the so-called 'club-coupe' (which I have never been able to identify either.

My Stude Champion custom Deluxe business coupe is the 3G-Q2 variety and celebrates her 70th birthday now here in Australia, awaiting a very soon to be make-over.

If you grab the id plate info, I can look the details up in my workshop manuals if you'd like?

For any other owners or past owners of 1941 Studebaker Champions or Commanders, please drop me a line. (Seems we are all far and few together!)

cheers,
    Blackfeatherau

21. Pete

Pete

Heres a few more pics of the side, Im pretty sure now that ita a commander because it has a back seat.

Attached Files:

22. white64

white64
    from Maine

My Champion, note the longer trunk, shorter rear windows, gas filler and steering wheel

Attached Files:

23. white64

white64
    from Maine

Pete.. and take care of those tailights! They're like gold!

24. Pete

Pete

I saw that car for sale, great car.

Im trying to picture the commander with a hard chop.....I cant find any photo's of them anywhere.

Pete-

25. white64

white64
    from Maine

I bought it "sight" unseen on ebay (aside from these pics and about 30 more) Did you see it in person? I haven't yet... It's sitting on my brother's car trailer under a tarp in WV, but I'm collecting parts. (or tryin to) He's bringing it up in April. It's fine because my garage is filled with an off-topic 72 half cab Bronco

Yeah, They're hard to find pics of. Trying to find a pic with a fulton visor on one ....

26. white64

white64
    from Maine

If you decide to go for it... keep me in mind if there are parts you won't be needing... :) Good luck!

27. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Edweird, what kind of set up does your pop have on the 245?

28. Commander has a hood ornament, Champion doesn't; wheelbase is longer (119" vs 110"). There also was a President coupe which has a 124.5" wheelbase. This book shows the only Commander coupes as "2-dr Sed Cpe-6P".

I like the Champion's 5 passenger coupe designation: the "Double Date Coupe" ...

No breakdown by body style but overall production Champion - 85,000, Commander 42,000 and President - 7,000. Those are rounded off a bit.

29. Pete

Pete

Ok, so that tells me that the Stude Im looking at is a commander 2 dr coupe, 6 passenger. It does have the hood ornament, 2 doors and holds 6 people. I cant believe there are no photo's of a chopped commander.....

30. Looks like a commander to me...R~R