Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stud welder gun and slide Hammer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tonyimpala, Aug 4, 2017.

1. s-l1600.jpg I am planning to purchase a dent removal system. Eastwood, Harbor Freight and ebay sell them. The prices range from $200 to $1200. I am not a body shop guy and I will be using the kit for small items. Please advise.
    thanks in advance.
    Tony

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  2. 1time

1time
    from minnesota

I have a brand new one i'll sell you for 100 bucks plus the freight. pm me if your interested

3. oj

oj

Buy one from the local tool guy, he'll stand behind it, you've spent money local and you'll have a quality tool. I have a Mac and don't doubt it'll last my lifetime, I reccommend it without reservation. It comes with shrinking tips too and that is what I use it for the most. I've only used the nails and slide hammer a couple times.

Texas Webb and Special Ed like this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

A coupla years back, I looked into this too. Also amazed by the price difference in various brands, and at the time only needing it for one thing, I laid out the big bucks for the Harbor Freight version...while it was on sale no-less. I figured that if it got me thru this one task, and quit...I didn't care.

It not only helped me do the job I bought it for, but has come in handy for a few other jobs since I bought it also. No signs of giving up at all. The kit comes with two sizes of pins/nails, and the slide hammer
    The only thing I found, on thinner body material, no problem, but on thicker materials, you have to let the pin really burn into the material. And occasionally, they still will pull off and you have to redo one or two. No big deal, it just takes seconds to do another.
    Overall, it works just fine, especially for the cost.

Mike

woodsnwater likes this.

5. eberhama

eberhama

I've abused my harbor freight one for 10+ years without a problem. I used the big pin tip as a shrinker tip since i don't use the big pins and don't care if it gets messed up. I was using it as a shrinker to take all the oil can dents out of the back of a 56 ford cab and I overheated it. Once it cooled down, I hit the reset and went right back at it.

woodsnwater likes this.
  6. 1pickup

1pickup

If you already have a mig welder (you do, don't you?), there is a cheap alternative. Buy several (as in a pound) of flat washers. Tack weld a washer (on it's edge) to the spot that you would have welded the stud. Use a block of wood, such as a 12" long piece of 2X4 to use as a fulcrum (hoping that's the correct term), & put a pry bar, old large phillips screwdriver, or the like, through the hole in the washer. Pry against the wood block, to spread the load & not do more damage to the panel. Pry until you like what you see. Twist the washer with pliers to remove from the panel. Weld the next washer where you need to pull, etc... Just a small tack weld, as you don't want to have to grind the washer off. Work slowly & methodically. If you are not planning to do this kind of work often, it's a cheap way to get the job done without buying tools you may never use again.

7. AZbent

AZbent

I like the washer idea, for my son's little o/the truck. I think we'll try it.

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

bought my kit from eastwood 14 years ago. never had a problem.

9. Budget36

Budget36

I do something similar, I modded up a gocart axle I had, used the weight off the slide hammer, and modded up a piece I welded on the end of the axle, to accept my seal pullers, ground the hook to get a good grasp on he washer and bump/pull the dent out.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

Welder ok puller not to good.

11. I found the same thing welder works fine the puller no so much.

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I'm gonna bump this up, since I bought a Harbor Freight stud gun yesterday. The welder is working fine, and for those having fits with the slide hammer, you might try this. Don't slide it all the way on the stud. There is a little slot that you can look in to, and if you engage about a 1/2 inch of the stud, it allows you to give it a couple sharp raps downward to disengage it from the stud. This also allows you to

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

get in there with a hammer to relieve the sheet metal while you are pulling up. Now, the air file my boss picked up a couple weeks ago, lasted about 45 minutes then locked up solid. The 6" DA he snagged is working like a champ, although it is rather noisy compared to a Dynabrade. And about one tenth the cost. I also have a mini belt sander from there, it has held up for a couple months and gets used daily in a collision shop. My two cents worth for the day.

14. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

The Harbor freight one I bought worked fine but the hammer would not grip the pins. I took it back and the store manager went in the back and tried all the hammers from the kits and finally found one that would grip them. Free exchange.