Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuck Torque Converter TH350 - WTH????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Countn'Carbs, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I seperated the engine and tranny (292 chevy 6 and th350) and converter came with the engine. Okay kind of wierd but no biggie but upon further inspection the snout of the converter is stuck in the back of the crank.

I've never seen this and started with a gentle pry between the converter and flexplate and quit when a metal drift and bfh thru the flex plate holes wouldn't pop it loose.

I've never been a big automatic fan (this kind of crap is why) and TC bolts are out but what am I missing here?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Evidently, when you or the previous owner intalled the transmission the snout of the convertor was slightly too big in diameter and by tightening the bolts down it was forced into the recess in the crank.

Have you tried spinning the convertor now that the bolts are out ? It might take some prying and spinning to get it to unstick. Try prying on a couple of sides of the convertor at a time and keep working around the circumferance.

You might also wrap some rope around the convertor and tie it to the frame on a car or something immovable, then either push the motor away on a rolling cart or swing it away on an engine lift. That should pop it loose. (Yeah, that is kinda shadetree, but should work)

Don

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  3. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Good ideas Don. As hard as it's stuck it's going to take something that's for sure.

The converter is a B&M 3000 stall and makes me wonder are there different snout diameters per application?

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm kind of rednecky, I would chain the front of the motor to one car and the ass end of the convertor to another car and have a tug of war :D

Don.

5. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

6. Willy301

Willy301

To the best of my knowledge, the snout diameters are all pretty much the same, but I have heard of one other instance where the snout did not want to go into the crank. B&M are notorious for putting a pretty heavy coating of paint on their converters (or, at least that has been my experience). It is possible that the crank was a little rusty in the hole before it was installed as well.

If the previous owner has ever boosted the engine, or applied nitrous, it could have swelled the front a little, and only brute force is going to snap it loose. I use my forklift vs my dually for the really hard seperations ;)

7. Grumbler

Grumbler

Can you wail on the edges of the converter with a soft hammer? No need to be too gentle, show it who's boss!

8. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

It's stuck really good.

I was prying with a big screwdriver and switched to a wood dowel and a hammer thru the flex plate holes. When that didn't budge it I opted for a 1/2" metal drift and a much bigger hammer and rotating it in an attempt to even out the blows and thinking the metal on metal would certainly move it. Nope....

9. You might consider putting some bolts back in the converter that are slightly longer than the stock bolts. Don't torque them, just put them in finger tight. If and when the converter pops loose you might not like where it lands. :eek:

Actually,with the longer bolts in place, try pounding them to drive the converter rearward. Work your way around to each bolt by rotating the flexplate between the beatings.