Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuck steering column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dentisaurus, Sep 19, 2015.

1. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

So I scored a 46-48 ( I think ) Ford steering column. Looks in pretty good shape but the key is missing and the steering lock is engaged. Anyone know if there is a way to get this apart or do I have to drill out the lock?
    A ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442667640.042627.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Unless a locksmith can make a key your going to have to drill it. HRP

3. flthd31

flthd31

4. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Thanks guys, thought that would be the case.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. If it's something you planned to use I wouldn't drill it. Pull the steering wheel off and the rubber center bushing in the top of the tube. Then remove the bottom tube clamp. Now you can push the shaft sideways enough to slip past the lock and remove the tube from the box itself. Now take the tube to a locksmith and get a key made and put it back together.
    The Wizzard

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Great advice^^^...

7. Have you done this?,,I have had to drill 3 different locks in the past and your telling us that it's not necessary. HRP

8. Usually drill and tap a small hole in the lock pin, then use a machine screw and small socket as a small puller. There is a code on side of the lock cylinder you can use to get a key cut. This is a 10-32 in '40 lock pin; but I have used 6-32 on the pre '36 smaller pins.
    P9190010.JPG

9. Yes, I have done as I described above. I'm lucky enough to have a very old Lock shop in down town Vancouver that still has a locksmith that knows what he doing. It's Harry's lock and Key. When I bring him just the Jacket with the lock he does what he calls "Wiggle" a key. He didn't like it when I brought him a complete old Greassy box and column with the Wheel still on it. He told me what to do next time and it saved me from actually removing the Box and wheel from the 40 Ford I was working on. So ya, I guess drilling out the lock pin for the tumbler is unnecessary if your key cylinder is still in good shape.
    The Wizzard

10. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Looks like I jumped the gun there, oh well. managed to drill, tap and pull the pin so I got the column apart and saved the lock. I'll see if I can get a key made for it

11. Well no matter how you do it success is still success.
    The Wizzard