Register now to get rid of these ads!

stuck motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by O.Hove, Sep 21, 2008.

1. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

Picked up a nice Ford coupe,The flat head is stuck, any product or way's
    to free it. It was driven in a garage 18 years ago,with air cleaner and hood on the car. Have tryed GIBS, did not work, What will work??:(

2. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

Hey Oren.....george here. Interesting possibilities, depends on how much drama you can stand. I tried something another flatheader put on a post. Jack the car up, put a breakerbar and socket on the crank nut and angle the breakerbar down just so and then let the jack down --- s l o w l y. It worked on mine and didn't destroy anything except a 2" square piece of concrete floor. Or, tow the car about 25 miles an hour in high gear or reverse and s l o w l y let out the clutch. I have heard of people pumping oil or grease into the head too but never had the setup to try that. Good luck, if all else fails pull the motor and get busy.

3. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

If you're saying that you tried Gibbs Brand and the pistons are still stuck, phone me and I'll give you some tips on using it. If you use it correctly, it will work. My number is (602) 233-8400 and you can call me anytime until midnight any day of the year.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

4. Well, I still prefer Marvel Mystery Oil. And patience, gotta let it do its thing. I hear good things about Gibbs too. Still, neither will provide you with instant gratification.

5. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

How long did you let it sit?

The last time I unstuck a motor it was in a Minneapolis Moline tractor and we had to let it sit for a month before I would spin.

6. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

I bought A `40 DELUXE 2 DOOR about 12 or 15 years ago...It sat outside for a good 30 years...it was stuck...but the oil bath air cleaner was still in place..

They dont stick as bad when the air cleaner is oil bath instead of paper element. I bought a gallon of liquid wrench... filled each cylinder as full as I could...after sitting about 4 or 5 days, I just wanted to check,,, I grabbed the fan and gave it a try...it turned so easy, I put the battery in and spun it with a battery [12 Volt].

No tricks...just patience!

Tom

7. R Pope

R Pope

First buy some beer. Phone some large friends, tell 'em about the beer. Then put the tranny in High and get all these guys rocking the car back and forth by hand. Usually this works in a few minutes. It's the back-and-forth thing that does the trick, any movement at all will soon get bigger. Not saying it will be any good even if it does spin over, but its worked for me many times. Don't try it without the beer, though!

8. THESNEAKYTIKI

THESNEAKYTIKI

I have had good experience with pouring diesel into the cylinders and letting it sit a few days. It will loosing up the pistons. Make sure you have a big breaker bar and go slow when you try to turn the crank. Just give it a good slow back and forth and it should break the pistons free. Make sure you drain the motor and replace the oil before you start it. It will smoke a little till all that diesel residue is off the cylinder walls. I have done this with 3 motors and it has worked every time. Remember to be patient!!!! Good luck. thesneakytiki

9. slamdpup

slamdpup

this man knows what he is takin about..marvel mystery oil works great used it couple times to free up stuck motors...pour a cap full in each plug hole then screw the plug back in and wait about a week...then turn the crank back and forth several ,several times once its free turn it it further back and forth till you go completely around ..its a slow waitin deal...but its very effective...

10. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I still tell the story about my uncle and the way he does it. See, he's a diesel tractor/truck mechanic (retired) and buys and works on old tractors in his spare time for extra bucks. Anyway, he'll put one on his flatbed trailer, hook up to his truck, and leave the chain a bit loose holding the tractor (or whatever) onto the trailer, and then go run around doing his errands. The starting and stopping motion will often break the engine loose. He's done this many times and usually has good results.

Just watch your trailer and load for when/if it does break loose.

11. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

I've also had engines that would break free without opening them up and beating the piss out of each cylinder with a hammer after taking the crank out...

My 53 Chevy I let sit for an entire winter with each cylinder full of MMO, and it wouldn't budge no matter what I did... until I yanked the motor out and worked each cylinder individually that is.

12. LilStreetRodShop

LilStreetRodShop

The last froze motor we had we pulled the engine out and put on a stand. Pulled the heads and oil pan turn bottom up and soaked with gas and trans fluid. Flip the motor in about 2 days and fill the top side of the cycl.'s Drop the crank and with a l;ittle help tap the pistons out with a block of wood and a BFH.

13. I did a '59 Pontiac with the heads off by using the MMO and coming back a week later and putting a piece of 2x4 into the cylinders and whacking the other end a few times with a hammer. It did the job. With a flatty you may want to pop the heads anyways and check the thing for cracks, so...