Register now to get rid of these ads!

stuck motor what to use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1964reo, Aug 6, 2013.

1. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

i bought a motor that is stuck what is the best to get it unstuck, i have the heads off but there was a little rust in 3 of the clynders

2. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

If you're not in a hurry, attach a socket and 6-foot bar to the crank. Cover the pistons with automatic transmission fluid and give the bar a yank every time you walk past the motor. It won't be long until you will be moving the bar farther and farther back and forth and then she'll make a full turn.

3. stimpy

stimpy

I use the dex2- acetone mix , stuff seeps into little voids to unlock stuff

4. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Set it outside on a stand, rotate the block so one side is up , fill the cylinders with a 50/50 mix of diesel and ATF fluid , put a rag into the mix and light it. The heat from the burning mix should expand the bore a little to pop loose the rust. Also allowing the some of the mix to slid around the piston to lube up things. Had a good friend tell my that was how he unstuck rusty tractor engines he restored. Tractors that sat outside for years with open exhaust .

5. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

I bought Kroil online. It freed a rusty chevy 216.

6. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

7. dtracy

dtracy

Clean what rust you can from the offending cylinders with sandpaper. With the above described oil mixture in the cylinders, I would then use a big flat screwdriver against the teeth of the flywheel back and forth. It will eventually move and turn.

Dave.

8. RatPin

RatPin

mavels mystery oil is what I plan on using on a stuck 6 I have. Pull plugs, squirt in oil and let set for a week. Then I'll put a breaker on it and hope for the best.

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

10. ATF&Acetone soaking in cylinders for a week then try and turn it over,that usually works for me.

11. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

this is how i got my hemi unstuck. i beated that thing for hours until i tried this method. i simply walked away for about 15minutes after ligting it up and it broke free with almost no effort

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I have tried most of the suggestions on my V6 that has 5 of the 6 pistons stuck. Aside from the diesel oil with ATF and the rag suggestion, I was going to try Kroil, reverse electrolysis, and this new stuff METAL RESCUE. Made all kinds of pullers and no go.

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

ATF, or kerosene, or Marvel Oil....... I've had success with each of them.

4TTRUK

14. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

PB blaster soaked..... Or the Zep equivalent.... Your probably gonna have to hone the cylinders with rust or they will pit

15. Fenders

Fenders

Plus the main ingredient:

Patience.

16. x2!

17. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

A little rust in 3 cylinders- is there a noticeable ring ridge? I kinda doubt that you'll be using the original pistons unless they are unobtainium. Use a drill motor with a 1/2 inch drill then break the pistons up with a hammer and chisel of course being careful to not damage the cylinders and or con rods- pins. Soaking stuck unusable pistons is waste of time- I know!

18. Roll the motor backwards after soaking in any mixture.
    Pull the pistons away from the rust not try to push thru it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

I used Marvel mystery oil with great success on my '51 Willys M-38 that had been sitting for 20+ years. Took a while but it worked!

20. Ross6860

Ross6860

Not saving the pistons?

Boring the engine, anyhow?

No patience?

Use BFH along with any phoo-phoo juice you like (Kroil is great but $s, diesel and ATF is cheap).

I used to mix Stoddard Solvent (how old am I?) and light lube oil 50/50. It makes a good penetrating oil. Mineral Spirits are close enough to Stoddard for shade-tree work.

Currently unsticking a post-war 59A. What a mess...

21. The only one I ever did I used Marvel Mystery Oil in. Filled it up and ignored it for a month. Came back and put a wrench on it and it was turning okay.

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

If it's rust a mild acid like bathroom bowl cleaner will work.

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was told by some old timer to piss in it.
    I didn't ask what brand of beer he was drinking.

24. THIS^^^. If you use too long a pry bar as suggested earlier, you could bust a ring land (part of the piston between the rings) if the ring's rusted to the cylinder wall real badly

25. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

i got it soaking with wd-40 now will try the other things later i have time not going to do any thing with it untell this winter

i sanded what rust there was came out easy what i dont under stan that the carb was not stuck in the plates none of the intake valve were stuck

26. using all of the above....now I'm praying my old Stude will pop lose.....

she's really pissed I parked er' for two years.....thought she'd like a rest...

27. mechanic58

mechanic58

I can't believe no one has mentioned Coca Cola yet. I have freed dozens of stuck engines with plain old coke. It really does work.