Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuck in gear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donfrancisco, Oct 6, 2010.

1. donfrancisco

donfrancisco

I have a 61 Apache 235 3 on the floor. It's stuck in 3rd gear and won't budge.. any ideas?

2. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

idk if its the same with that as it is on a muncie but i used to have that problem all the time. I would have to get underneath the car and aline all the levers on the tranny and put it back into nuetral. it would happen when i would shift real fast. sometimes id have to drive home in second!!

3. squirrel

squirrel

disconnect the linkage from the trans, see if you can move the arm on the trans to get it into neutral. likely the shifter got hung up because it's loose/worn/misadjsuted

4. MickeyD

MickeyD

I don't want to sound like your dad but be sure to block the wheels before you slide
    under it and slip it into neutral!

5. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

If that dont work try and pull it out of gear while it is rolling.

For some reason mine gets stuck the same way if I come to a complete stop in 3rd gear. I have to remember to pull it out of gear while still moving.

6. donfrancisco

donfrancisco

I had to drive back in third stepping on the clutch 5 times just to get up to speed with out stalling it last night

7. el shad

el shad

Concur. This should fix you up, Amigo.

8. donfrancisco

donfrancisco

Thank you.. I kind of figured as much but felt like I should still ask for opinions... I'm having trouble putting it in Neutral... it seems stuck... do you guy think I would damage it much if i use a hammer?

9. el shad

el shad

Use a brass hammer or a dead-blow

10. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, one of those hammers that's made especially for beating on stuff you should not be beating on.

11. donfrancisco

donfrancisco

Usually when I'm in doubt a reach for my hammer... Because if you can't fix it with a hammer it must be electrical

12. Jim, that is funny and oh so true.

How about using a big cresent wrench on the trans levers to try and get them both vertical to the ground (neutral)...stightly rock th truck while doing this so the trans isn't in a bind. again..slightly easier on parts that the hammer...;)

13. lewislynn

lewislynn

I could be off base here but can't bad synchros cause it to lock up as well?

I think it's just as important to find the cause and fix it so it doesn't happen again.

If it's sloppy, improperly adjusted linkage or shifting forks you could wind up with it in 2 gears and a blown transmission.