Register now to get rid of these ads!

stuck flathead valve and guide

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buffaloracer, Nov 26, 2008.

1. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Stopped by a friend's shop today and find him working on a 1951 Mercury with 8,000 miles on the clock. It has been sitting for at least 20 years. Has the heads and intake off and it has almost zero wear on the inside. 3 or 4 valves were stuck and he has them all loosened up but one. The guide is stuck in the block and the valve is stuck in the guide. He has tried diesel fuel, diesel fuel and atf, kroil and a limited amount of heat. What do you suggest next?
    Thanks.
    Pete

2. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

If its an intake valve, i have used the bar to reach inside the intake port on the block and press the valveguide DOWN into the block to try and break it free. Gine it hell, it will come loose eventually.

3. I seem to remember I borrowed a special tool from a Ford garage back in The 50's to hammer out the valve guide an used plenty of penetration oil.

4. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Did he get the clip out on the stuck valve/guide? If so, ruining the valve head to allow getting under it with a pry bar is a good bet. Just protect the deck with a piece of 1/4" plate.

5. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

Marvel mystery oil

6. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

You are probably going to have to destroy the valve and guide getting it out. If you can get the valve up enough break the head off with a good sideways smack with a hammer and then drive the guide down with a socket enough to get the clip out. Don't try to be nice because sometimes nice doesn't work well with flathead valves.

Oh, Draw some blood:D

7. krooser

krooser

Patience .... and a lot of Kroil/Blaster

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If valve can't be loosened, it is junk anyway...remove head by any violence available, grinder, cutoff wheel, hacksaw...Kroil the guide, drive it straight down.

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup. I drilled the heads off of a couple, snipped the spring bottom of the valve off with a pair of giant cutters, and drove the guide out. Good stuff went in their place and the engine still running as far as I know. (it was sold with the roadster.)