Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stuck distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I had to use a slide hammer to get a vacuum pump out of a gm deisel. Would be the same as a distributor in an SBC/BBC​

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

LM14, before you heat and beat, you might want to drill holes in the distrubter base to relieve it. Might save possibly breaking the block. Just maybe a precaution.

Bones

LM14 likes this.
  3. I like the wood chisel idea if it's good and sharp. If you get it to budge upward at all, then you can pump a bunch of penetrating oil down in there. Next would be a chain wrench around the upper body. If you can get it to turn at all, then you can work it loose and out.

4. If you have the distributer in your hand try knocking the gear off and tapping the end of the shaft with a soft hammer. Don't larrup it just gently tap it.

I got a good FE distributer you could have had but no SBF stuff or I would just trade ya.

5. I am going to have to check out before I get into trouble here but let me leave you with this little diddy.

Oh balls said the King
    If I had two I'd be King remarked the queen
    The Prince laughed not because he wanted to but because he had two.

Read it out loud.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Worst case, Muriatic Acid eats aluminum.

7. I wrecked a few getting them out. BFH works eventually.

8. Muttley

Muttley

JJ.gif

Truck64 likes this.
  9. GM front wheel drive axle remover and large slide hammer..
    Most of them could be removed using the dull chisel and air hammer.
    A friend of mine had the front of his mustang in the air using the distributor.
    Y-Blocks and Pontiac's are worse being behind the intake......

10. boutlaw

boutlaw

Im assuming youre saying it wont rotate, for example, to set the timing. If if wont pull out of the block, try turning the crank to unload the drive gear, back and forth. Ive had this happen more than once on an old FE where gear pin sheared and it was very difficult to remove. A deadblow hammer worked to get it out after crank movement back and forth.

coolhandponcho54 likes this.
  11. It's not corrosion that causes the problem on Pontiacs. It's the sludge build up on the middle of it. You just need to squirt carb cleaner down in there and work it back and forth and up at the same time. Eventually you'll wear away the sludge.

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Having had this happen a time or two, I have come to the conclusion that making the distributor removable is Job One, when it comes to Fords. Vibration and penetrating oil does the most, and I have also loosened up the clamp (don't remove it, bad things can happen) and driven (is that a word?) a lot to help with heat and vibration cycles. Air hammer with the bluntest punch you can find, as directed above.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Since the timing chain had some slop I removed the cover and knocked it up and out with a hammer.

14. Well there ya go. I was gonna suggest a strap wrench. :)

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am suprised I did not bust the distributor since it was that stuck.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Replacement distributor in along with timing chain and just need to put the front of the engine back on.

17. Ive been attempting to loosen up a long setting stuck 56 Pontiac engine. I heated and beat and after a couple of hours I got the stuck dist out. and the dist shaft is frozen to the housing. It sat with the dist cap off and water from rain went into it.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I ran into that getting a distributor out of a engine in the junkyard,it took a little effort to get out and the shaft was froze up so I tossed it in the car. It sat with the hood up and no cap on it.