Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stuck banjo and a few other banjo related questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by george.barnes.754, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Well shit, it is upside down. Guess I get to do this again tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

2. Ok, now we're right. And I found out what's up with my missing bolt. It was never there, snapped off in the center section... I think an EZ out and a left handed drill bit will make short work of that. Another day...[​IMG]

3. My man.

That may be just one of the fill in the blanks answers to, "You may be a mechanic if___________."

Sprng width is an @Austin kays question. He has an A spring attached to an A rear still on his shop floor. ;)

4. Austin kays

Austin kays

I can tell ya at 3:50 pm when I pull on my driveway!

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

5. Austi that'd be awesome. Coukd you measure your shackles as well please? Fixing to hopefully get them built this weekend.

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

did you put the diff back together with the same old gaskets?

7. Yup. But it's just until I get all the parts in hand to rebuild it

8. Austin kays

Austin kays

9. Austin kays

Austin kays

10. Austin kays

Austin kays

11. And that's with a stock A spring?

12. Absolutely certain it needs rebuilt, planned to rebuild it from day 1. Just don't have all of the parts in hand (bearings will be here Tuesday, no clue on new seals and shims), but that doesn't mean I can't keep going with my mockup. Austin you're running a stock A spring with 37-41 axle? 7.5" seems awful long for a shackle (granted I'm used to 4wds and late 60s early 70s stuff). My perches ended up right at 49" apart. Does that sound about right to you?

13. Austin kays

Austin kays

Yes that's a stock A spring @Tim you got any measurements to double check mine?

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. You got any pics of the whole setup the way it sits? And are your perches on top or in front of, or behind the axke?

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

What are you measuring that’s 7 1/2? This threads a little confusing let me go back and try to figure out what’s being asked

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ll measure on my way to work, I don’t know what you measured but a 7 1/2 inch shackle wouldn’t even fit on a stock A set up.

All this stuff is easy to google by the way but I’ll go lay a tape any how

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Also every A spring will have a different arch and it will change when loaded

18. That'd be awesome Tim. Also, I am going to run the original spring mounts on my 37 or 38 banjo in front. That way I push the rear end out another 4(?)ish inches and drop the back end of the car a bunch it looks like. Hence why I was askin about the A spring.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ok so what you need to spring mount distance and shackle length to compare.

If the spring mount/ perch is further apart than the A you can use a longer shackle to make up the different as long as when its all together and in the car those shackles land at a 45 deg angle. Pointing down and center

20. Yes sir.

21. Center ti center of the spring mounts, length if the perches, and kength if the spring would be great.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Spring perch center to center is 49.5 I’ll measure the shackles shortly.

Any spring measurement I give you will be different than the next guys bitnits gonna be around 47 when it’s on the shackles all stretched out properly

23. That should work then. Mine are 49" on the nose.just need a shackle center to center.

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

1.5 inches so you should be fine

25. Cool, and I just thought about this one, can you measure centerline of spring perch to centerline of axke housing as well? I am curious as to how much using this housin has dropped the back end of this car already over a stock A.

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

At work now but it’s probably 1 1/2 maybe 1 3/4 from spring hanger center to the top of the tube. I’d say switching to spring behind will drop you nearly 4 inches

27. That's what I'm going for. I have a bunch of rubber rake I need to conpensate for. 7.50-16 on the back and 5.00-16 on the front is a 6" difference. Like 6" of tire and 3" of rake. So I'm thinking I can reverse the eyes on the front spring (using a stock model A in front as well) and that should lower the whole car about an inch, and Z the frame in the back to gain another 4" back there, and use a Speedway 2" drop front crossmember, but I need ro figure out where the other 2" in the front is going to come from as I don't care for being able to see the Z in the front...

28. George.Please take a damn minute and complete your profile page......

29. At some point I will have to actually log in from a computer and do that.

30. Stock Model A spring perches centers were 49-1/2"; yours should be about 48". So, if you take the Model A spring and use a spring spreader to push it out to about 45" center of eyes, you should be able to measure the arch. Taking this number, subtract about 1-1/2" (how far the spring sets below the perches and use that number to figure where the axle height will end up. If'n you don't have a spreader, you could just use the main leaf and add for the rest of them.

You will probably end up taking out a few leaves for ride; but you should still end up with about 45 degrees shackle angle with the spring eyes about 45" on center.

You mentioned Speedway's spring in one of your posts; they are not the right width for what you are doing.

You could also switch to a T spring if you are too high.

You said your perches were '49, maybe take a square and make sure they are 90 degrees to the axle center. Found those bent outward more than a few times over the years.