Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuck Axle. Any tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mudslinger, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Well I been trying to get an axle out of a Ford 8 inch rear.
    Its set in there a long time. I have one out and it was tough but managable.
    This axle hasnt budged with a slide hammer.
    Its not in a car so I cant get the leverage I need, atleast thats what IM thinking.
    I havent put heat to it yet. I think thats my next plan of attack. Heating the bearing with a torch but not heating it too much.
    I never seen one stuck like this.
    Its a 69 Mustang rear and it has had gear oil in it while it set but I think the bearing may be bad or just corroded. It was tough when I found it but its freed up and moves pretty good now.
    Just wondering if you guys have some special way of pulling one of these?:mad:

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd go easy on the heat - you don't want to warp the housing or embrittle the axle shaft. I've never taken an 8" apart, but I believe they're set up the same as the 9", so if the four bolts are removed from the housing flange, the axle should just slide out (with a little help). If your slide hammer doesn't do it, try a heavier weight. I had to do that on one of my 'junkyard' axles. The slide hammer weight that came with it just wasn't heavy enough. You know what they say - "just get a bigger hammer" !!

3. i've had a few 8 and 9" axles really stuck like your's ... if the rear is just laying on the floor it moves a bit with each blow of the slide hammer , loosing some of it's power . try blocking or chaining down so it won't move

4. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Is there a way that you can use a press of some sort to work as a puller? Maybe put it in some kind of holder and use a come-along hand winch to put some serious pressure against the axle?

Also, is the axle still in the car, or sitting on the shop floor? If its on the floor, you may not have it tied down tight enough so every time you yank on it, instead of breaking it loose, the housing will move slightly. Kind of similar to the dead blow hammer concept.

5. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I hear you on the heat. I think this side of the axle set the lowest and seized up with corrosion on the bearing.
    IM going to heat it just enough to hopefully break the rust seal.
    I have used pb blaster on it, wd40 slide hammer and bent one of the ends. I have put a steel rod to the back of the hub and hit that.
    IM looking at rigging up something and bolting the opposite hub to a plate and trying to slide hammer it after I heat it.
    I have had these just come right out with a little jolt before.
    I think its just froze up and needs twice the force but I dont have it.

6. old beet

old beet

Bolt a long heavy chain to it. Then snap it like a bullwhip. Allways worked for me..........OLDBEET

7. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

ha ha that a good one oldbeet. IM at the point where I want to tie it to a stump and yank it with my F250

8. old beet

old beet

I'm serious!!!!
    Can't spells!!............OLDBEET

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I made up a little tool for this. Flat plate that bolts to the hub with the lugs with two 3 foot lengths of tubing and another flat plate welded to the end of that. Smack on the plate with a big sledge. Works every time.

10. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I know you are, and it sounds like it would work.