Register now to get rid of these ads!

Strombergs: Once again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dropthumbs, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Dropthumbs

Dropthumbs

H.A.M.B.ers,

Ok, I woke up Uncle Max's wife, and got his great nylon washers. The leak between the carb body and the adjustable jets is definately gone, but the threads on the adjustable jets weep. I have ordered .45 standard jets ( since I live at sea level or below) and a set of plugs. I will install these once I get them, but in the mean time, I will use some thread sealant at the top (adjustment end vs. the sharp end) of the threads. Since I intend to remove the adjustable jets once the others arrive, I though I could experiment with them. I hope to get an approx .45 setting. I got a rebuild "premuim" kit from Reds, but did not order the jets and plugs at the same time (Duh!). I assume that the adjustable jets come out, the standard jets go in and the plugs seal the openings in the carb body, using Uncle Max washers.

Now when I attempt to run the car, it starts, runs briefly then dies. There is no choke on the carb (it has Scott Air Horns) so I use my hand as a choke. I have not installed the new S valve, prefering to take the carb apart only once ( when I get the jets and plugs). Could a too low float setting cause this problem? The leak from the top of the float chamber no longer occurs, and I have set my pressure regulator at it's lowest setting. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Chuck Goings in Myrtle Beach SC

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definitely sounds like fuel starvation. Low float could do it, but I'd be more likely to suspect your fuel pressure is TOO low. How long does it run before quitting?

3. Dropthumbs

Dropthumbs

30 to 45 seconds then pfft.