Register now to get rid of these ads!

stromberg with pcv?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DOUBLEZO, Oct 31, 2010.

1. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

so i was sick and tired of messing with my holley 94 and picked up a new stromberg, the made in england kind. while reading the info that came in the box i read this,
    WARNING!
    Do not use this carburetor where
    a Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) device of

any type will be used.

i am running a pcv on my flathead, single carb,stock intake. why would it be a bad thing to run a pcv? should i go back to a road draft tube? thanks.

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

interesting. I have a PCV on my sbc motor in my T with 3 stromberg 48's. I would like to know if I screwed up.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd contact the company to find out what their concerns are. I have one under my dual 97s but they are originals.

4. 36tbird

36tbird

If you go to the website and download the installation instructions the warning you reference is part of a whole paragraph,
    "WARNING!
    This carburetor is not designed for use with
    engines or transmissions requiring carburetor
    vacuum lines, or any computer-controlled
    applications. Use with these applications may
    cause damage. Do not use this carburetor where
    a Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) device of
    any type will be used."

Seems to me that the warning was taken out of context and they are just saying that there is not a vacuum source available on the carb to hook up a PCV. I'm running a PCV on a 8BA that gets its suction from a Southwind Heater plate sitting under a 48 and it seems to be working great.

5. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Well, my PCV works just fine with three Strombergs. I get my vacuum from the intake for the PCV..
    I believe that they are referring to the fact that the 97 has no vacuum outlet, thats all..I've seen bases drilled and tapped to get vacuum??????????? There are vacuum plates that fit under the 97. Make sure if you get one of those that it will be drawing from both venturies rather then just one side..
    I'm in Sacramento if you need help..
    Duane.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  6. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clive sez...
    "When we started up, the US lawyers we retained to check all the instructions put in this line about PCV, I didn't understand it at the time, but they insisted, and we were green and paying them a fortune, we decided we better listen to their advice. Just as we did with the warning about not using the carb on an aircraft!. We still don't understand it 5 years later and will probably remove it from the next printing unless someone can give us a good reason why it should stay. We have had queries about it before.
    From what I remember, the argument was that some carbs might read a PCV as a big vacuum leak and won't work properly. I suspect the lawyer was actually referring to a PCV that fed directly into the carburetor (like in the smog area) - not into the manifold underneath it.
    I personally see no problem with using a Stromberg 97 with a PCV feeding into the manifold under the carb, and I cannot see my company denying any warranty claim because of it. The Genuine Stromberg 97 works exactly the same as they always have, so new or old makes no difference."

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  7. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

thanks everybody, it all makes sense now. i have the pcv hooked up now and it will stay.