Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stromberg carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodder1932, Sep 4, 2018.

1. hotrodder1932

hotrodder1932
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a strong smell of gas all the time. The car I was lucky to buy has two new stromberg 97's. Not the speedway repo. The car runs rich, and the smell of raw gas overpowers the garage. According to the previous order it has the stock .45 jets they came with. It runs a stock ford fuel pump. The car is period correct down to the linkage and banjo fittings. I don't want to junk it up with a fuel pressure gauge and regulator just yet. There doesn't seem to be any weeping of gas out of the carb. Just wondering if I am missing something obvious. Tom

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well the first thing is always to check pump for proper pressure, and volume. No way around it. If that ain't right, nothing downstream will be right either. Then check float height and fuel height in the bowl for proper level. Etc. Just take it one thing at a time, in order. Thing with carbs is every adjustment is set on the basis that the previous one is correct.

3. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Is your gas tank higher than your floats? I had to put a shut off valve in the fuel line to keep mine from gravity feeding.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the car idling, remove the air cleaners and look down the throats of the 97's. See if they are dripping fuel down the intake. If so, and I bet on it, you are pushing fuel past the needle and seat or grose jet in the newer models. The fix is either too much pressure, too high floats, crap in the needle and seat/grose jet. Like @Truck64 said, take it one thing at a time in order. I just had to do the same thing with mine, a reduction in pressure and a timing tweak cured it.

And if it really smells that bad, change you oil a couple of times as that extra fuel is likely in the pan...mine was.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. hotrodder1932

hotrodder1932
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All good advice and thats where I will start. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.