Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Stromberg air cleaner dilemma

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Katuna, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Anyone have any suggestions on air cleaners that have a slightly smaller diameter? The Navarro intake is spaced a bit tighter than an Edelbrock or Offy so most, shall we say “less expensive” air cleaners won’t fit. The carb centers are 4-1/2”. OTB has some nice ones that are a touch over 4” but at $80 times 3...yikes. I love the scoops but in Central Cal it’s a bit dusty most of the year, even with the foam insert filters. They’re only designed to keep the larger flora and fauna out anyway.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

This is the OTB which would look great but $240 bones is a bit rich for my blood.

fintall.gif.png

3. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Do not know if these will help or not but you can take a look & see. On page 298 or my 2017 Speedway catalog #516 at the very top of page it shows some Stromberg air cleaner spacers. There are 3 different heights avalible, 1", 2" or 3" height. If your current air cleaners are touching at the point of base & top would raising 1" on the center cleaner allow clearance? Or same effect for a combo of a 1', 2", 3" set? It this would work it should look good either way. The are machined aluminum and they offer either just as machined for $11.99 each or polished for $17.99 each.
    Good luck on this. Jimmie

4. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Jimmie-Good point. I'd rather that they would be level but beggars can't be choosers sometimes.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMHO, Those OTB Gear air cleaners are worth the price of admission. Everything I have ever ordered from them is the highest quality. My grouping of 97's is even tighter so I had no option other then OTB bughorns.

6. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

some of those with the paper filters really restrict airflow and have performance issues.There was a discussion on this just recently.Im not very good at providing links.

7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. If you try the spacer on just the center carb that should give you clearance. If questioned about that just tell them that with testing you found that higher stack on center only gave you 2 more HP. Let them scratch their heads on that. Heck you might start a trend.
    If you look at my avatar on the Chevy engine I am using the Weber 2 bbl.'s & their top has the large 5+" fit for 4 bbl air cleaners. Those small cleaners just will not fit for me so I got 2 offset bases for the 9" Orbit air cleaners so they would clear each other. I have not seen offset bases for the small air cleaners.
    Jimmie

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018