Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stromberg 97 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jjjmm56, Jan 31, 2017.

1. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I know the top is a 97 but what's the base. All the 97s I see then base is not pointed. Bore size 1.187. Is this something that works together? [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

They had both styles of bases. Gary

3. What you are describing is the "Body" not the top..and all 97s have the 3-bolt base

4. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Yes it's just that this base is different from other 97s. The PO put a lot of things together on this build that are not completely right but useable. It seems that everything needs to be tweaked to work right.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 1-1 above the big 97 indicates the later replacement model 97.
    More than likely says Elmira instead of South Bend on the opposite side of bowl.
    These also have smaller idle airbleeds, adjacent to the idle jets and a third idle squirter in the base. The venturis are notched to fit around the squirters.
    It's not a good idea to use the 1-1 bodies on the "D" shaped bases unless you enlarge the highspeed airbleeds.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. silent rick

silent rick

here's a photo to show a side by side comparison.
    [​IMG]

I have four of the newer style that appear to be new old stock. it looks like they never had gas in them. I never thought to look whether they have south bend on the side or Elmira. they both have EE-1 on the bases.
    I plan on using the four matching carbs on my wc4d going on my 283. do you think that's wise?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    uncle max likes this.