Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stromberg 97 triple setup help please?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RustyNCA, Jun 3, 2010.

1. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I searched through and read a bunch of the threads, but still have questions.

I am unclear on the setup of the carbs.

I am running the three with a progressive linkage(or trying to...) all three have no chokes and have bases with idle mixture screws.

Do I bottom out the outer two carbs idle screws and only adjust them all for air flow and run the idle mixture screw adjustment only on the center carb?

Or do I adjust the idle mix on all three carbs?

Also I do have a fuel pressure regulator and gauge to install on the motor to limit the pressure as I have read. I have a holly regulator which I assume the rebuild kit with two springs will allow me to change it to a low pressure one with the different springs in the kit.

The prior setup was a 1-1 linkage with the center carb as a dummy and I am trying to get to run all three with progressive as I assume it will run better that way.

Oh, the motor is a mild Chevy 350

Thank in advance for any help
    Bryan

[​IMG]

2. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Bryan,
    I have some experience with tri-power, plus some real carb experts around here. If I can help, give me a call, I'm in Red Bluff.

527-2040

3. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Thanks for the link, I searched around and didn't manage to find that :eek:

And thanks for the compliment, still working out the bugs and looks of her...

4. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Cool thanks for the offer, wonder if I have ever met you. My boy races outlaw karts down there and I have a long long long long .... time friend down in Red Bluff, a Dunbar........ :eek:

5. HD74

HD74

Bryan, this what I did. First disconnect your linkage. Turn the idle screws in till they bottom then turn them out 2 full turns. Next set all your speed screws to the point they just start to open. Fire her up. If you need to increase the idle, from this point what ever adjustment you make to one speed screw you make to them all. Once you have it idling you can start to adjust the idle screws, again what you do to one you do to them all. Final step re-connect the linkage being careful not to change your settings. Good luck.

6. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See above ^^

7. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Uncle Max, not sure how you did the reply, but thanks for the help.

Yes, the center carb seems to have a different end on the throttle shaft, but the body has a large logo 97 on it? Could it be a mix of two carbs?

I also read that the removal of the chokes was not the way to go, I got these carbs without them, so now I am running with what I got. I guess I need to chase down some cores with the choke parts or a place to buy them.

Thanks for the tip on the direction of the scoops, a friend of mine was suggesting I turn them around.

The linkage I have does allow me to run the carbs as one to one, or progressive, I was just assuming they would work better a progressive? I was thinking it would run like a two barrel primary with four secondaries.

I also am trying to decide if I need to run vacuum advance for the whirly, I have been wondering if I can just tap one of the carb adapters to get a vacuum signal. The only car I don't run vacuum on is my olds with the 455, I tried and tried with it, can't seem to run advance without getting pre ignition, finally gave up on it.

And again I really appreciate the help. I started this whole process trying to get rid of a bad miss under acceleration, I think it is ignition, but also thought I should get the carbs in sync and tuned correctly as well :)

Cheers
    Bryan

8. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

If you run the progressive Max is correct..I would also agree with him about run all three, no progressive linkage, the 350 will love it..
    Look up John Speers in the phone book, he's in Redding, he could help you..
    Duane..

9. Abomination

Abomination

+3 for direct linkage. Nothin' wrong with that! ;)

~Jason

10. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Guys thanks for all the help, got her up and running on all three carbs now :D.

Learned alot bout the carbs. They were all flowing different amounts of air, the rear one was flowing about twice the air are the others.

I picked up another carb, this one has the choke in it.

Now I have some questions about rehabbing the carb.

Note I did read through all the tips about the removing the tubes, etc.

a. Do I have the carb powder coated after cleaning it up?
    b. How do I get the throttle shaft apart to run the carb in place of one of the other carbs?
    c. How do I get the choke shaft apart to clean every thing up?
    d. Can I run this carb with the choke parts in the mix with others without the choke?

Again thanks for all the help guys.

RustyNCA

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Listen to Uncle Max............he's the man on 97's.

Frank

12. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rusty, I just went through what you are doing. I ended up with 48's in all three positions. The local guy who set mine up machined the idle circuit out 25% on the center carb along with taking the main jets out to .054. The car idles on all 3 carbs. I currently am using only the center carb during the shakedown timeframe. When I fell that all other little things have been addressed, my guy will machine the other 2 idles circuits as well as open up the jets on the other carbs. Did he do it right ? I don't know...but it runs better than it ever has and starts like a new car. 1/4 turn and it is running.
    As I understand, UncleMax, Dick York ( dickster27) and Duane ( stromberg97 ) are the experts. you can't go wrong listening to them.
    Here's my new setup

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010