Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stromberg 97 Not pumpimg fuel??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave50, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Dave50

Dave50

Anyone ever had this Happen? I have thoroughly cleaned the carb, have taken all apart even the emullsion tubes etc. Everything was new last month I put about 300 miles on them. I cant get 1 carb to pump fuel from the bowl to the squirters and dont understand why.I get plenty of fuel to the bowl and the needle and seat close like they should. Anyone been here thanks for any ideas etc

2. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Check accelerator pump.

3. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

I'm wondering if the rebuild kit was from Speedway, if so the accelerator pumps are garbage..They fall apart, that could be your problem
    Duane

4. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could be one or all of the following...

* Crap pump, like Duane said.
    * Blocked powervalve (due to crap pump).
    * Plugged dicharge jets (also due to crap pump).
    * Crap pump.

5. Swap the pump with one that you know works. See if that fixes the issue. If not move on to the power valve. After that I would say the tubes are blocked. Force air back thru the tubes in any way you can to clear them.

6. F&J

F&J

There must be check valves or balls in the pump circuit. I'd bet one or both is stuck. If you manually push the plunger down and it feels stiff but no squirt, then something is plugged or stuck check valves.

On most carbs, one valve opens to let gas get sucked into the pump well, while the other one shuts, so it can't suck air into the squirter.

7. jimvette59

jimvette59

Steel ball missing or crap in the pump housing. The ball should be in the bottom of the pump housing with a wire ring placed to hold it in place.

Has anybody seen this car. Last seen in NJ.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  8. Dave50

Dave50

Thanks guys stromberg got it they were from speedway. I didn't know about stromberg at the time. I did swap the plungers and it worked.now I guess I need to call stromberg for some new kits?? I am not happy about this more money down the drain...

9. Dave50

Dave50

For the record I cleaned the carbs and cleaned them well completely and thoroughly with carb cleaner from zep 7 gallon pale stuff, the stuff your not suppose to use... they are clean I will order new kits 3morrow hoe to have them by friday oh yeah next day air lol

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Meantime, also scrutinize the check valve under the center screw plug between jets. It is another place crap from the crap pumps might have lodged, and having it blocked with crap would have put yet another bypassing leak into your crap pump circuit.
    Max has a nice tool for putting a mighty blast of air through the curved pump tubes, which usually in my experience produces a blast of dust out of supposed clean tubes...
    Mine is modified to run off of my traditional compressor, a one wifepower 1935 Ford tire pump...

11. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Dave, I'm gald I could help..There is several people on the hamb that you can buy Stromberg parts from..
    Duane..

12. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

jim, I believe your thinking Holly 94 not Stromberg 97.
    Duane.

13. Dave50

Dave50

Duane i need them asap i nee this thing running so whoeverr is closest the hot rod comppany takes forever to get stuff and isd on wisconsin i believe thanks again
    . Oh and the distributor shit the bed too lol

14. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

Would love to see a picture of that tool.

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I would like to see a catalog of all of his available bits and toys...I suspect he has some goodies!
    The adaptor threads into the power valve hole and hooks up to air. Mine is fitted with a Scrader connection for a tire pump...

16. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pictured is the discharge jet blowerouter tool and a couple of handhewn "spotfacing" tools w/pilots for dressing bowlplug and fuel inlet gasket surfaces. Not pictured are fixtures and anvils for staking chokeshaft and throttleshaft screws. Sorry, no catalog...

Attached Files:

17. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

I realy like the hand held spotfacing tools. I made a jig and use my small drill press. I also made a tool for the discharge tubs and use cutting torch tip cleaner, small and it cleans also..And , computer keyboard dust cleaner in a can for the tubs, carb cleaner in a can with noozle it fits over the tip of the tub..Just some other ideas for the clean the discharge tubs..
    Realy nice creative work Max..
    Duane..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011