Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stroker nail head.....Anyone done this???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gary terhaar, Jun 18, 2009.

1. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

My thoughts,
    I have a 65 425 and its at .030 over now.New rods are un-obtainable,So a sbc rod is 6.200 with a 2.100 big end.Stock rod (at least mine)measured 6.212.Eagle h-beams are 20g lighter than stock.
    Off set grind the crank to 2.00 and have a set of forged pistons made up with a 927 pin with the right offset.125.closer to the ring pack.
    My math puts it about .012 in the hole,just enough to clean and square the block.Leaving .040 squish with the headgasket.
    Has anyone tried this or am i reinventing the prevebial wheel.
    Cost wise,rods cost me 385.00 from my supplier and crank costs 375.00 the big hit is the pistons,witch i would use forged either way so ross is my only stockable choice.
    Any thoughts or ideas are thankfully welcomed,guys this is my first nailhead so im listening.
    Thanks,Gary

2. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Pretty sure 401 rods are the same as 425 rods.

A stroked out 425.....that'd put out enough torque to twist the world in half.

3. panic

panic

sbc rod is 6.200 with a 2.100 big end.
    Off set grind the crank to 2.00

?? Which is it: 2.00" or 2.10"?

Assuming maximum (2.00"), the rods are a bit narrower than yours. You could get almost the entire .25", more like .245".
    New stroke = 3.885".
    Size @ +.030" = 460".

What may prevent this is if that big a cut exposes an oil hole at the cheek or chamfer, etc. Ask around before you cut.
    Extra balancing = $$$

4. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Get ahold of Russ Martin he used Pontiac rods he is the man when it comes to Nailheads he will know more them anyone else

I do have a M/T 1/4 stocker crank:D sorry not for sale

5. leadsled01

leadsled01

Yep, Russ is the man..

6. 49coupe

49coupe

"Get ahold of Russ Martin he used Pontiac rods he is the man when it comes to Nailheads he will know more them anyone else"

I'll second that! Russ is a great guy and has forgotten more about nailheads that I know. He was a great help getting my motor together since I wasn't a stock build up.

He'd have rods and could give you advice on stroking the motor.

Here's his contact details:
    Russell Martin
    CENTERVILLE AUTO REPAIR
    Grass Valley. 530-272-1564
    [email protected]
    WWW.nailheadbuick.com
    www.centervilleautorepair.com

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

But the stockers are forged and good ones are pretty easy to come by.

The formula for his build is in the Yahoo Nailhead Groups archives. But he did use Pontiac rods.

8. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

A used rod has questional past and how many cycles in there life.
    I am a m/c machine shop and do own a sunnen rod machine but i dont use cr style mandrels so automotive rods i would have to send out.
    arp bolts and the cost of rebuild put me real close to a new set with arp bolts and a known history.Just thinking it out,at least trying to.
    Piston according to ross are lighter and the rods are lighter than stock also,so im hoping for just a drill job for ballincing.
    Thanks for the input guys ,i will look up Russ Martin.