Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stripping aluminum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gavin, Mar 26, 2008.

1. gavin

gavin
    from Sonoma

I have some aluminum valve covers that I want to strip the paint off of. Is Aircraft stripper the best way? Pretty sure sandblasting is a no-no on aluminum? Anyone know?

2. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

you can blast it but if your trying to remove paint to polish then id try stripper first
    Dave

3. blacufo

blacufo

if you plan on polishing them out, i used some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wet sand the paint off a set of 62 vette value covers. they may have some new stripper products out there, but usually things like cast value covers the chemicals will leave what looks like water marks in the metal..

4. I dunk aluminum items all the time in my tank o' death. I also use glass beads blastin' sometimes.

5. gavin

gavin
    from Sonoma

I do want to strip the paint and just polish them up. So it sounds like chemicals are going to leave spots on them. Sanding is going to be difficult with all the fins and hard to get areas.

6. i did the batterycharger soda trick an it worked well with little ecxceptions on hard to reach spots

7. School me Kat--whats the Battery Charger Soda Trick

8. I did a set of vette covers last summer with stripper, I just kept an eye on what it was doing and had a 5 gallon bucket of rinse water ready to go. I even read the instructions and it said you could use it on aluminum....lol