Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stripper's wanted in Florida

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrconcdid, Jan 5, 2011.

1. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I thought that title might get some attention.

I need some advice, My floor pans are covered in rust,dirt,grease and some sticky underlayment ( trans tunnel ), then theres also under coating, bed liner and of course paint and bondo.

What would be the best (easy) way to strip it back down to metal, The floors have been patched, not great but very solid, i just want to get the gunk off and seem seal it and paint it.

I have tried the red scratch pads ( twist locs ) and Flap wheels both work but clog up very fast
    Is there a better tool for the job?

I have already recessed the firewall and raised the trans tunnel.
    What do you recomend to seal the floor and also act as a sound deadener and heat barrier?

Thanks MrC

2. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

bump

come on guys, im sure someone know the best way to get this stuff off

thanks
    MrC

3. fitzee

fitzee

heat gun and a scraper I sometimes use a propane torch and a scraper. Any gummy under coating or glue will clog any grinding wheel. Most time it just spreads it out. with heat it will be messy but will get 95% of the shit off.

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

X2 on the propane torch. But wear a carbon filtered paint mask or you will die.

5. budrow

budrow

Gobs of elbow grease and sharp tools. Get as cleen as you can and live with it. Life is short. Have fun and drive hard.

6. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Have a bunch of strippers come by with wire wheels on a grinder.

7. rick finch

rick finch

Propane and a scraper.....it's a bitch.

8. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

thanks, i will try heating it and scraping was hoping a wire wheel might do it.
    Thanks again
    MrC

9. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

After helping my dad strip the undercoating off his 55 Chevy propane torch and scrapers work the best. Make sure you use a good mask, that stuff will mess you up. We also used some Aircraft Stripper is a few places it worked ok.

10. 59 brook

59 brook

this is the kind of thing you would really appreciate a rotisserie . a plumber's actelyne torch is a little easier then a propane tank and probably much cheaper. laquer thinner lots of paper towels scrappers 1" wide metal blade works well where are you in fl?

11. Once you get the goopy stuff off with a heat gun and scraper, I used a wire cup on an angle grinder.

12. Loppy

Loppy

It goes without saying.....but, if your going to use the heat and/or flame methods be careful and aware what your "lighting-up" can catch on fire. Equally be aware what is on the other side of the area your torching, like flammable undercoating and your proximity to gas lines.

Try the Scotch-Brite type strip wheels. They rip right through that stuff. It makes a mess, but it works, so wear a good mask and glasses. The ones that aren't permanently attached to their arbor will allow you to get into tight spaces. Save the reduced ones and use them in those tight spaces. I made a long extension made from 5/16" round rod, tapped the end, and double nutted with small washer to compress and hold the small wheels. I'll update with a pic soon. Good luck.

13. HOTRODKID91

HOTRODKID91

There isn't any strippers on this thread!!! Hahaha