Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stripped Early Ford Halfshaft...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Enbloc, Sep 3, 2010.

1. As I was tightening the axle nut on my rear end it suddenly went soft due to stripped threads on the axle. :(

Apart from the obvious changing out the halfshaft (Fresh car, fresh rebuilt Columbia rear:() are there any other options open to me??

Thanks.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I assume you have tried a new nut, or the threads are totally obliterated.
    Only option I can think of aside from another axle is to rethread the stump to the next possible size, using a chart of both metric and Imperial sizes to select the largest possible, and hope for the best. There isn't really anything to lose, and it is reasonably likely to work.
    Look for something in a die that will go on the remaining piece without surgery, perhaps by hand filing remaininder of threads till roots just start to disappear.

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

just another thought....

....build it back up with weld , make some sort of jig to grind/file it back to round(with the drum /hub on to keep it spinning true)...rethread to stock size....

might be more effort then its worth trying to get it round though...

4. Haven't tried a new nut but threads are pretty mashed. Don't think just a new nut would work for the long haul.

I like your idea though. Certainly is bodge-tastic and as you you say I've got nothing to lose by trying it.

Think it would be less work and more reliable to do take the axle apart.

5. What is the thread on the halfshaft?

6. TERPU

TERPU

Don't half ass this one. If the drum comes off you'll wreck more than the axle ends. Columbia rears are easily pulled apart and re-assembled. You can do it, just take your time and make good notes as to where "stuff goes" and you'll be fine. Those nuts are a major source of problems from not being tightened enough and broken keys, wallowed out drums, and broken axles. So when you get it fixed put the hurt on it and use the right cotter pin.

Good luck,

Tim

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

5/8-18, I believe. There are both antique and modern split dies, and one of the adjustable ones might be able to sneak up on the remaining metal and maybe get it rolled back a bit. If you have enough left to try that, do it and tighten. If you can't get beyond 100 ft lbs or so, already a bit low, and they tear out again, file plus undersize. I think if you research available sizes carefully you can probably find a match that will use the remaining un threaded portion. The loss of metal diameter would be small and I think that would be strong enough, but of course threads that are cut with a die are another concern, inherently dodgier than the original threads. Since things are not yet together, cut or repaired threads should be supplemented with safety hubs...
    If you do teardown, you presumably know that preload is right, so put a micrometer on side gasket removed and replace with same.