Register now to get rid of these ads!

stripers and sign painters, lets see your box.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by georgedombeck, Oct 8, 2009.

1. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

My wife the woodworker has offered to build me a paint box. I am not sure what size or shape I need. I would like to see some other paint boxes to get some Ideas. Tired of 3 shoeboxes full of junk rolling around the back of the truck. Thanks, george

2. Nice to have a wife who is able to work with tools.My wife does but being a perfectionist,it would probably take her years to do one.

I usually use an old tackle box or tool box.If you can find an aluminum one all the better.One of the best is a Kennedy model A1115.Pent roof style with four fold out trays.Holds a bunch of paint and chemicals and half the weight of a steel model.They show up on e-Bay occasionally.

The original D-Flite cases;which were made specifically for sign artists are once again being built.These were discussed at a meeting the other night and are supposedly being built somewhere in South Carolina.I'm trying to get the contact info now.Priced around $150 but very well made.

Gerstner (the company that makes wood machinist's tool boxes)has some nice boxes but they are a bit on the heavy side for carrying around and are VERY expensive.The older ones are even more expensive.

Old tool and tackle boxes are usually available at yard sales or flea markets for very reasonable money.The most I have ever paid for one is $10 and that was for a near new Kennedy pent roof that sold new for about $150.

The great part about the old ones is you can decorate them however you like and if you spill paint on them it is no big deal.

Here is a couple I've done up.

Attached Files:

3. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Hey Ray; Gerstner is right here in Dayton. I know a couple of the guys there, I can get you a tour of the joint...

I use(d) a box similar to the first one that Ray posted, except that mine opens from one side, not the middle. I like this one as I tend to work on a table/cart.

Vance