Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stretching cab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kruzin karl, Jan 31, 2019.

1. The original? Just search Cole Foster Chevy truck.

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

I don't think it will ever look right. Not trying to throw cold water on it, I just hate to see a cab cut up to turn into something you might not finish or you regret.

Trust me, I am 6'2" and 250# and I have been driving 35-36 pickups my whole life. They are cramped, but seat placement makes all the difference in the world.

Mini van seats are cheap but they are of the devil. I have one in the Produce truck and it will cripple you in under 3 hours.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 and anthony myrick like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't really notice the stretch on that 40 like you do on some trucks when the back of the cab is moved back.

rockable likes this.
  5. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm short so an extended cab isn't an issue but how about this idea? Use a V6 engine and push the firewall forward to get some more room.

chryslerfan55 and R A Wrench like this.
  6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I have hopes of doing something similar on my 49 Chevy if I ever get to it. I think I would try to cut the cab near the back of the door where the rounding of the roof is more involved, and then cut the other cab ahead of that to get your extension. I know some of the pros cut and build the doors first, but for a first time try, I think it would be better to do the cab first and fit the doors last. The reason I say this is because I think its going to be more difficult to get one thing (the roof) positioned to match three things (the doors and existing cab) than it would be to make one door fit one opening at a time. Just my opinion, but once the doors are fashioned it just seems that it would be harder to line everything up for the doors while keeping the roof in the needed alignment. Again, just my opinion.
    I like the extended door with out the quarter window behind it. Heck, I don't even like quarter windows on late model trucks......:)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Several years ago I had a customer have me build him a 35/40 chassis that was stretched 36 inches in the center, He was supposedly building a crew cab pu. Never heard a thing after I shipped the chassis?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built my model A about 15 years ago. Stretched 4 inches in the middle of the doors, wheelbase stretched 4 inches, running boards stretched 4 inches. All else is stock. No chop, although I think the stretch makes the top look as though it might have a slight chop.

I drew it up on graph paper, stretched behind cab without window and it was butt ugly. Same with window, as far as I my tastes go. This was the only stretch that appealed to me. That's how I did mine. Not my truck any longer. 100_2557.jpg 100_2563.jpg 100_2565.jpg

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will be working up subrails soon to stretch my '29 Model A closed cab pickup in the doors. This is for leg comfort, as well as the slight width gain that the taper of the cab shape will produce. I plan to drive the wheels off of it, so it has to be right.

I have ridden in several stock ones, and cannot get comfortable. I did shrink when I broke my back, but I have stabilized.

Since these are so compact to begin width, the stretch will get it into more proper proportions.

The roof will be chopped, but just enough to get the top of the door glass even with the top of the windshield. That mismatch has always bothered me.

anthony myrick and squirrel like this.
  10. Here is a 40-47 Ford cab under construction. Doors have been stretched 6 1/2" and the cab widened 5" (6 1/2" in back to maintain the slight wedge shape). I think proportions would be better with 1-2" added behind the doors ... but I'm not that ambitious!
    IMG_5023.JPG IMG_5024.JPG

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work! I swear I'm going to do one of these. A friend has a 41 Chevy 3/4 ton he wants to get rid of. I'm really getting tempted.

12. I added 2' to the cab on my '53. I shortened the bed 1' and lengthened the frame 1'. Also lengthened the running boards using a second set.
    P1010559.JPG P8070017.JPG P8070019.JPG PA130002.JPG 3-1 frame ext.jpg 3-2 frame ext.jpg

Hombre, High test 63 and rockable like this.
  13. Thanks, rockable. Lots of work, but it sure makes the cab more comfortable for cruising. Like your Plymouth.

rockable likes this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hard to forget seeing a pickup with stretched doors after the welds started to pop and the plastic had a crack top to bottom. I'd go for the reworked cowl if you need leg room. Bob

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easy solution to that: metal finish the seams, or make one-piece door skins.

I have never seen a stretched pickup where it was lengthened in the cowl.

rockable and anthony myrick like this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Then all the more reason to be the first.;)

Bob

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not on a '29 Model A.o_O

18. trvguy

trvguy

Like this? 013.JPG

juan motime likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

20. 79AD0D6B-7C1D-4B52-9EBC-0046414CF571.jpeg
    i like this extended COE cab
    The window detail and cab “drip rail” sells it

21. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I've seen several with a couple inches behind the driver that where we'll done But that cab in post 101 looks so cool, like a bigger version maybe like a 1ton instead of half ton. Reminds me of something Ian Rousell did but I can't remember what.

I went easy way and am doing a panel truck. Looks of a pickup from the front and plenty of room in cab and back.

Attached Files:

22. Thanks. That's mine....

gimpyshotrods and anthony myrick like this.
  23. Ya did good.
    Found it looking for 48-52 COE pics.
    I should be trading for a bunch of parts for one.
    Well, front end and doors, no cab. Was thinking about converting a regular cab. Don’t see why I couldn’t mount the doors and build that dog leg/cowl area to fit the pieces.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  24. I'm sure you could. Having the doors to work off of is a huge plus. The COE cabs are basically the same as a regular truck aside from the lower front/floor.

anthony myrick likes this.