Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stretching cab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kruzin karl, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I’d bet that has both stretched doors and a cab extension, just a little in both....and it does look well proportioned.

2. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

Didn't they do that same thing (stretch a cab) on one of those episodes of "Bitchin' rides" or "Fantomworks"?

3. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I like the proportions, is the top chopped too?
    [​IMG]

4. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

They stretched a 50's Ford on Bitchin' Rides.

5. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Photoshop of my TF with about 6" of cab stretch. The extra room in the cab would be very welcome...

long58.jpg

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Your truck looks waaaayyy nicer as it is!

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sorry, but I have yet to see a stretched pickup that looks right. Including the pics in this thread. I think @Crazy Steve is probably right in that you've have to add length in multiple places in order to pull it off. That's a lot of work. Worth it? That's subjective.

Roothawg and nunattax like this.
  8. X-cpe

X-cpe

When is it not worth a lot of work to achieve what each of us wants either aesthetically or ergonomically? It's only too much work if it's something you wouldn't do.

9. gene-koning

gene-koning

Sorry Black_Sheep, the doors look too long in my sight. I think I would have to split the extra length between the doors and the cab behind the doors.

I had thoughts of stretching the cab on my 39 Dodge, but just couldn't come up with a way that looked right in my eyes. Adding a quarter window would have been the easiest, but I wasn't sure I would have liked it. Gene

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      111 KB
      Views:
  10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It will be a lot of work to do it so it looks right, that entails adding to the cowl, door and the rear section of the cab to keep the proportions similar to the original cab! Question, is it worth it to you to do that much planning and work to get it right ? Just guessing, but I would begin by looking at about 10%-15% of the intended add on in the cowl, 20% in the rear section of the cab and 65-70% in the door.

11. Capt Crash

Capt Crash
    from Colorado

I also have a 35 Ford truck that I would like to stretch. The roof and rear of the cab are so beat up that its already ruined. I can try to make it better, but I cant ruin it more. I have another roof and back for the cab already, but I would like to see how you proceed. I may also be interested in your left over door parts if you go ahead with it.
    Brian

12. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I stretched the cab on a 51 GMC. The first thing I did was to buy a plastic model to cut up in order to get the look right. Carving plastic is a lot easier (and cheaper) than cutting metal.

upspirate, Chavezk21 and G-son like this.
  13. Hombre

Hombre

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, and when a feller fits into one of these trucks I could see why he may not be up to the work. I think personally there are more than one truck in this thread that look very good. They may not have the exact same proportions as the truck did when it was stock, but that can be a damn good thing in many case's. If it were not the case then we would not have any custom cars and trucks at all, because one thing that gets changed in most of those is the original proportion.

The 1935 Grey Ford truck with the red interior that I linked to early in this thread is to me a work of art. I think it is very much in proportion and looks just great in its new stretched form. That is however only my opinion.

For me the reason to stretch one at all is to make it drivable for a big man. So many big guys like myself who would build an early truck in a heart beat never do simply because the are so small inside. I also do not think it will take a lot of stretch. Maybe as small as 4 inches would be enough, this should be able to be done without to much trouble going just thru the doors. I also agree that a cab stretch behind the doors would a good thing as well. Trouble with that is that damn compound curve at the rear of the cab. Find a way to leave that intact and this would work as well. I don't think the cowl stretch and the problems it creates would be worth the effort. Once again my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    kruzin karl, rockable and Hnstray like this.
  14. ...another thing that mite help,...take side profile pics of the truck, make photocopies of it and cut those up and piece them together to see what looks right.

15. 29moonshine

29moonshine

I did a 36 chevy low cab by adding 6 " to the doors stretched it above the belt line then made new lower skins by doing the doors it makes easier to get in

Attached Files:

16. cshades

cshades
    from wi

With the 2 inch chop under the rear window and 6 inch stretch I think mine has better proportions than my 40 with the stock cab. The rear window lines up with the side windows now, it was too high before. If you look at my 40 in my avatar and compare it to the 39 I am building

Attached Files:

17. Yes, great visual aid
    plus to wrap your head around it all, take a photo from the top, and flip the cab on its nose and get a pic of the bottom. Stretch them all

Hnstray likes this.
  18. At 6' 6" tall I've owned several '40-'41 Ford p/u's..didn't "stretch" or ever want to "stretch" one.
    I'm far from a purist, but I can't see any improvement in appearance by stretching one, and the un-comfortness factor, I can put up with.
    You guys must be bigger than I am.
    Ain't Hotrodding grand?..we all have our own take on what to do with our own cars..as it should be.

King ford, Bandit Billy and Blues4U like this.
  19. patterg2003

patterg2003

Hombre likes this.
  20. exterminator and Hombre like this.
  21. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

22. Reminds me of that cross eyed minion
    IMG_1913.PNG

rockable and Hombre like this.
  23. [​IMG]
    I'd like to Un See this but only because the Hood fit is so bad and the bed side reveal ends so poorly.

Hombre, Bandit Billy and Chavezk21 like this.
  24. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

$30,000 for a crushed velvet interior with a wally world oak spice rack on the ceiling...........larger rear doors than fronts, and a rear bumper that resides in a different time zone than the tailgate.....pass.

patmanta, Hnstray and Hombre like this.
  25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That red 40 is an example of what bothers me about these, it takes on proportions more like a Hudson ute, which is not a bad thing if it IS a Hudson ute, but for a full size pickup, yuck. And that dual cab silver F1, where is the vomit smiley?

26. kruzin karl

kruzin karl

fauj, upspirate, King ford and 4 others like this.
  27. cut on paper before ever cutting the cab
    we lay out a measured grid with thin masking tape then take a picture
    you can use this grid to know how much you chop and stretch things

28. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Here's 2 that my buddy owns. The model A was professionally done in California and the 40 he did with my boss helping some. I like the 40 myself. He shortened the bed to keep stock wheelbase.

Attached Files:

1morecarIpromise! and Hombre like this.
  29. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

IF I were to stretch one I don't think I would shorten the bed, I think the rear tire and fender being too close to the cab is one of the proportions that gets screwed up. I'd like to see a photo of the silver one showing the complete side view ( including bed)

30. Koz

Koz

[​IMG]

Wow! Great proportion. Love to see this one built.

Hombre likes this.